Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering building a PC for the first time as my 5 yr old is always kicking me off my PC.:rotfl: Looking for suggestions on good sites for info on this (hardware compatibility, best bang for the buck etc.). Looking at it for gaming, some photo editing etc. Any pointers would be appreciated...

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Spend the money for a top quality case and power supply.

-A fried PS often takes other components with it.

-Cheap cases have unfinished sheetmetal edges that will cut the shit out of your hands.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
When you get it get the builders version of windows much cheaper
I prefer dual CPU boards, while no help gaming good for most things
I got some stuff from NewEgg but cannot remember the other source
Get a SATA drive much more convenient
If you are going to dual boot consider get removable drives instead (some reasons not to)
+1 on the above advice from the frozen tundra

Buy a Mac instead and save yourself a LOT of pain from the 'doz :D

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Dual CPU boards have gotten pretty rare. Nowadays the processors are so damn fast it's other things holidng up the PC.

SATA drives, LGA 775 Pin Intel processor, fastest FSB you can find.

Also you want to make sure you get the latest interfaces. 240 pin DDR2RAM, PCIx16 slot for the latest graphics cards.

I built one with this mobo (not refurbished though, which I DON'T recommend) about 6 months ago. Great machine, but I don't really use it much anymore.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131516R

I love the SATA WD Raptor Hard drives too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144160

The first one I got was actually dead, but newegg got me sorted. I like newegg a bunch btw.

You probably know you can do it cheaper if you buy one built from Dell. But rolling your own is pretty fun. Also, if you need a display, 20" LCDs are down to around $500! I just got a second for my office, the dual monitor thing is the :shit:

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I scored almost all my components at www.buyxg.com prices were great ship time was great and I havent had a single hiccup out of my pc since I built it 4-5yrs ago.

They do like $0.01 specials too, so my IDE round cable was a penny, and I got a spare set of speakers (that I gave away when a friend needed them) for a penny also

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
its still pretty up to date, only thing thats a little old is the processor is only 1.73Ghz but the mobo can handle 3Ghz so I can swap it out anytime. Another stick of pc3200 will come with the new processor when I feel the need to upgrade

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
luvtolean said:
Dual CPU boards have gotten pretty rare. Nowadays the processors are so damn fast it's other things holidng up the PC.

SATA drives, LGA 775 Pin Intel processor, fastest FSB you can find.

Also you want to make sure you get the latest interfaces. 240 pin DDR2RAM, PCIx16 slot for the latest graphics cards.

I built one with this mobo (not refurbished though, which I DON'T recommend) about 6 months ago. Great machine, but I don't really use it much anymore.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131516R

I love the SATA WD Raptor Hard drives too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144160

The first one I got was actually dead, but newegg got me sorted. I like newegg a bunch btw.

You probably know you can do it cheaper if you buy one built from Dell. But rolling your own is pretty fun. Also, if you need a display, 20" LCDs are down to around $500! I just got a second for my office, the dual monitor thing is the :shit:

that mobo would come in handy here with its Hyper-threading technology support.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
CBR929RE said:
that mobo would come in handy here with its Hyper-threading technology support.
My Dell workstation has dual hyperthreading processors. It's uh, fast. :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
AMD hyperthread X2 + PCX display adapter according to your bang-for-buck is at the moment the best you can. Balanced according to your your gaming and whatverelse balance. If you are into something always runnings in the background while you play the dual-core is the only way to go...

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
You think so?

I think Intel currently has the bang for the buck, but AMD has the all out hot rod performance (for a price). :idunno:

A friend and I were just musing on how much the state of affairs has changed in that way. Intel has started focusing on more than just outright clock speed, while AMD still seems to be focused on just that.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Wow, you didn't mess around.

I'd get a bigger monitor moneybags.

I've never heard of that video card, but it seemed to get good reviews.

If you don't need all of that storage place, I still recommend 2 74Gb Raptors. :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts