Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My bike is a 954, power commander, full Yoshi exhaust. I put Sharkskinz on the entire bike after crash.

It truly sucks to ride during the day. The bike runs about 215-225. I recently changed the fluid over, in hopes that the change would rectify the situation to no prevail.

I understand that the bike is fine running at that temp, but it is real uncomfortable in between the legs. A good friend recently rode it for the first time (he's been riding nothing but Hondas for the past 15+ yrs), and he also thought that it ran real hot. In fact, I let him use it and he brought it back... and picked up his truck and headed to where he needed to go.

I was wondering if forced air would help, and if so.... do you have any ideas on the materials that I can use to do this. And where to run the intake?

Thanks in advance. I'd like to start riding during the day again, especially since I just moved to Florida:eyebrows: :D :eyebrows: :D

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Does it use any coolant?
Is the thermo fan working?
If it doesn't use coolant then you'd need to check the thermostat is opening and that the water pump is working.

·
Registered
857 Posts
215-225 That is hot. At 220 your fan comes on and goes off at about 215. So your fan is probably on all the time while riding blowing that nice hot air on to your legs. I can feel the rush of hot air when my fan comes on. I would check the things BR mentioned and maybe try some water wetter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what you mean when you say, "does it use coolant".

I know that the fan comes on, but not sure at which temp. If it doesn't use coolant... how do I check to see if the thermostat is working (and the water pump)?

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
You should be able to see coolant in the overflow bottle and in the radiator if you remove the cap. If they're at the correct levels then you aren't using coolant.
With the engine idling watch the temperature gauge and as the temp rises from cold, at around 80C the temp will start dropping indicating the thermostat has opened allowing the coolant to circulate through the radiator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts