Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been checking out a few Super Moto sites and it looks like alot of fun. I guess I want to know if anyone here races it or has tried. And it seems like the bike to go with is a KTM... I believe it is alot cheaper to race Super Moto than it is my CBR.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
SuperMoto is way cool. I think it has a bright future here in the states. It has already begun to do good things for KTM (in my eyes anyway).

I'm not looking to build/buy a SuperMoto bike right now, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future.

HD

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Talk to 929flyer. Although he races it more like a roadracer, he's got lots of good info.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would love to try it. I roadrace in the summer and motocross in the fall/winter. It looks like a lot of fun and would improve my sliding skills for sure.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I watched supermoto last night on OLN. It was out in Irwindale, Cali.
It was kick ass, they back it in to almost every sharp corner and the pegs send showers of sparks when they go on the banking. Ben Bostrom was racing last night along with Mike Metzger.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I was told to stay away from the KTM bikes that are setup for supermoto off the showroom floor, the dealer said they are basically SX models (4-speed) bikes that don't sell and they convert them. 4 speeds is not enough to pull longer tracks. I could be wrong, something to check into if you're interested in the KTM's

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to know. I just looked at KTM's website, and the supermoto 625 SMC has a 5 speed trans. Here oare the specs.

Technical Data
ENGINE single-cylinder 4-stroke engine
Displacement (cc) 625
Bore / stroke (mm) 101 / 78
Performance (homologated) 24 kW / 6000 rpm
Max. torque 45 Nm / 3500 rpm
Compression ratio 11.7:1
Starter E-starter and kickstarter
Transmission 5 gears, dog-clutch engagement
Carburetor Keihin FCR- MX 41
Control 4 valves / OHC, roller rocker lever
Lubrication Pressure lubrication with 2 Eaton pumps
Engine oil Motorex Power Synt 4T 10W-50
Primary drive 31:79
Cooling liquid-cooled
Clutch wet multi-disc clutch, operated hydraulically
Ignition Kokusan DC-CDI 4K5

CHASSIS
Frame chromium-molybdenum, power-coated
Subframe aluminum
Handlebar aluminum, conified
Front suspension WP-USD 48 MA
Rear suspension WP - Monoshock
Suspension travel front/rear 265 / 310 mm
Front brake Brembo 4-piston floating caliper, 320 mm disc
Rear brake Brembo 1-piston floating caliper, 220 mm disc
Rims, front/rear 3.5 x 17' / 5.0 x 17'
Tires, front/rear 120/70-17' ; 160/60-17'
Transmission ratio 16:38
Chain X-ring chain 5/8 x 1/4 '
Battery -
Main silencer aluminum SXC
Steering head angle 63°
Wheel caster 99 mm
Wheelbase 1510±10mm
Ground clearance (unloaded) 290 mm
Seat height 910 mm
Fuel capacity approx. 9 liters / 2.5 liters reserve
Weight (no fuel) approx. 132 kg

·
Registered
46 Posts
625 SMC and the 525SX are two TOTALLY different animals.

625SMC is based off the LC4 motor (streetbike)

525SX is based off the high-output dirt motor (racer)

Its true the 525SX comes with the 4speed. But the 525EXC (enduro) comes with a six speed, I guess its fairly common for the SX guys to install the EXC gearbox or for the EXC owners to upgrade thier engines to SX specs. For short tracks I would think the 4spd would be fine, but if one intended to roadrace it or street ride I would assume you would want a 5 or 6spd.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We are currently getting ready to build a Super Moto bike for a friend of mine that races motocross and supercross. It will definately be fun to ride the bike when we get it done, I've been practicing flat tracking with an XR100 to get more comfortable with sliding the bike around. If anybody is looking for Super Moto parts, we do carry a full line.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts