Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am going to do the 954 swingarm change on my 929 this downtime in the winter.

How do I support the back of the bike while the swing arm is removed or going to remove it? I have all the parts and ready to do this but I need some advice one where and how to support it so not to damage the bike or anything that supports the weight while the swingarm is off.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Jackstands under the motor.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
timeBOMB said:
Hmm so those pipes will handle the 400 lbs for a frew days? no proble?
Yep... although technically, it'll be around 200, since the front end will rest on the ground.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I used the jackstands as mentioned above. I put the bike up on the front and rear stands. Then placed jackstands (with towels over the stands to prevent scratches) under each side of the engine case. CAREFULLY lower the bike down onto the jackstands, then weight down the front end/tire so that the bike doesn't tip backwards. This will give you enough clearance and stability to work on the bike, just don't get too rough with it and keep an eye on the stands to make sure it's not slipping off.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
When I changed out the shock (which also requires that the swingarm is not used to hold up the bike), I ran a bar through the subframe, and it was supported on both sides by sawhorses. That worked fine. If you have rearsets (non-folding pegs), putting jackstands under them will work, too.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
HondaGalToo said:
When I changed out the shock (which also requires that the swingarm is not used to hold up the bike), I ran a bar through the subframe, and it was supported on both sides by sawhorses. That worked fine. If you have rearsets (non-folding pegs), putting jackstands under them will work, too.
I've used both of these methods of supporting the bike without any problems.

·
Registered
356 Posts
all of the above will work even the bar through the swingarm and then throwing a chain over a main beam in your garage's roof and the bar through that chain... it all works.. just depends how creative you wanna get..

i prefer using the beam to support the weight of the bike, personally i'm clumsy and i kick jackstands or anything else on the floor.. which could result in more of a mess than I really want :smilebig:

·
Registered
233 Posts
hoagie said:
I just did the home depot pipe contraption...

Here's mine...

*On edit* I don't know what the heck happened on the first post
did like hoagie, hanging, but i used j hook/bolts in the studs of my ceiling in my garage instead of the pipe...then hooked the straps around the sub-frame

hoagie, you gotta quit working in the kitchen man... put that thing in the garage.....j/k

1 - 16 of 16 Posts