Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally running wires through the attic for our surround sound speakers but wanted to know if any of you had any input on wall plates for the connections between the wires in the attic/walls and the speakers themselves.

I believe I'm looking for passthrough jacks with binding posts. Specific brands, places to purchase?

Anyone onboard done this before?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
TraumaOne said:
They sell a bunch of this stuff at Lowe's and Home Depot as well...
:wstupid:
I used the ones from Home Depot. They have plates with empty squares for optional addons. I bought the one with 6, and used 4 for speakers (screw down terminals) and 2 for cable and sat. (coaxial). They look very nice after you are done, and give you many options.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep - that's what I ended up buying.

Bought a few single-gang boxes with the wall plates that have the snap-in binding posts. I'm only running wires for the left, right and center rear speakers (6.1 system). The left, right and center fronts will have wires running straight from the receiver.

Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I personally avoid connectors on wallplates. I like to have the cable start at the amp and fifnish at the speaker with no breaks. People go on and on about gold plugs and socket, and how great they sound - but consider that at best, they will only keep the sound at the quality it was when the signal entered the plug. Adding a plug an socket essentially is like cutting the wire in 3 places and soldering it back together - something you would not really do if given the choice. I usually just use a blank wallplate and drill a hole the right size for the cable.

If you are determined to use a wallplate connector - then I suggest going for the ones that let you screw the cables into a terminal directly, rather than with a banana plug. Banana pluigs are really only useful in a hi fi store application, where you are swapping speakers a lot - otherwise, it's just bling.

Z...

Edit - didn't read all the posts before posting this, but I figure this info could be useful if any does a search anyway :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all!

Zee - the guy that got the cable for me said the exact same thing about running the wire straight through the wall plates and direct to the speakers. However, I'm using binding posts that screw the wire directly to the terminal.

My system is nowhere near high-end and I really don't believe that I'll be able to tell any difference between a straight run and a passthrough jack installation. If history is any indication, we won't be at this house for years and years, so I'm trying to make the installation clean enough that the next homeowners have the option of using the room as a home theater or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts