Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum but not new motorcycles. Pretty sure I should post this in general, but I have a new to me 01 cbr929. Well I was looking at suspension this morning and maybe someone can help clear this up for me. Why is it I can get a set of front forks for $300-600 but one small rear shock will run you$750-$1000's? I mean they are in theory both just a shock and the front have more material to them. And the rear only has a coilover/spring over the shock. It would seem front forks would cost more to produce. Maybe its still to early for me and my brain isnt working but any help with this would be awsome.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
New to the forum but not new motorcycles. Pretty sure I should post this in general, but I have a new to me 01 cbr929. Well I was looking at suspension this morning and maybe someone can help clear this up for me. Why is it I can get a set of front forks for $300-600 but one small rear shock will run you$750-$1000's? I mean they are in theory both just a shock and the front have more material to them. And the rear only has a coilover/spring over the shock. It would seem front forks would cost more to produce. Maybe its still to early for me and my brain isnt working but any help with this would be awsome.

Where on earth can you buy new forks for several hundred dollars?
Just one OEM fork is about the cost of the shock absorber.
One 954 fork is around $650 and the shock is around $750.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I tend to search ebay for parst as you can get good deals

Sure, so do I, but I've never found new forks for less money than even a lower-quality shock.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Sure, so do I, but I've never found new forks for less money than even a lower-quality shock.
They're out there Br, I think the brand is Faux-Lins.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
They're out there Br, I think the brand is Faux-Lins.

Really?
I thought faux-lins was a term used to describe putting Ohlins stickers on standard forks :)

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Really?
I thought faux-lins was a term used to describe putting Ohlins stickers on standard forks :)
Have to agree. The cheap knock-offs I stick with calling Fohlins... just plain Fake arse Ohlins :rotfl:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to clear up im not talking about any specific brand. Fake stock or upgrade ive just noticed forks are cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Just to clear up im not talking about any specific brand. Fake stock or upgrade ive just noticed forks are cheaper.

But you can't post any actual links to these cheaper forks?
Ohlins are thousands of dollars and all aftermarket forks I've seen are more expensive than OEM ones.
Some aftermarket shocks are a little cheaper than OEM but most good ones are more expensive.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Not sure about how ebay has them priced. Decent ohlins rear (new) is 750-1500 (and up), just a set of fork cartridges is 1300 (new) from ohlins. Still would have to have the rest of the forks too.
Personally I would figure the read absorber to be cheaper as this will usually survive a good wreck. Forks tend to take a good beating in a crash. Maybe some of the "deals" aren't that good of deals.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Not sure about how ebay has them priced. Decent ohlins rear (new) is 750-1500 (and up), just a set of fork cartridges is 1300 (new) from ohlins. Still would have to have the rest of the forks too.
Personally I would figure the read absorber to be cheaper as this will usually survive a good wreck. Forks tend to take a good beating in a crash. Maybe some of the "deals" aren't that good of deals.

In my experience, front end stuff gets wrecked much more often than rear end stuff. If you're ever looking at buying a wrecked bike that needs original forks always check that they're available first, for some bikes you can wait years for a set to come up if you want to have originals.
Before Ebay came along, good forks always kept high prices for that reason.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Just searched for RC51 stuff. Rear shock (used) $20-$50. Forks (used "straight") $300+ for a pair... I don't see this being cheaper at all
Edit: This is for STOCK replacements (used)

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Just searched for RC51 stuff. Rear shock (used) $20-$50. Forks (used "straight") $300+ for a pair... I don't see this being cheaper at all
Edit: This is for STOCK replacements (used)

Exactly, can't see any sense at all in the original post now I see he means secondhand stuff. Shocks are waaaaayyyyy cheaper than forks.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I think he saw used forks as that's about the average price for oem take-offs, and compared them to an ohlins rear new? That would be the reason for a $1000 rear shock, even used mine is $999, new $1500. Can't compare used to new.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Like I said in OP it was early and my brain wasnt working yet. I notced that most of the shock I viewed was new and of race quality where as the forks were used but with new components in them. I wasmt able to find a link to the original set I found but it was used tubes with new components. See this is why I usually dont make posts first thing in the morning.i think my original search(at ljke 430 this morning) was on ebay for honda cbr929 suspension.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Like I said in OP it was early and my brain wasnt working yet. I notced that most of the shock I viewed was new and of race quality where as the forks were used but with new components in them. I wasmt able to find a link to the original set I found but it was used tubes with new components. See this is why I usually dont make posts first thing in the morning.i think my original search(at ljke 430 this morning) was on ebay for honda cbr929 suspension.

New fork "components" probably just refers to the spring and seal, which are not expensive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts