Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Suspension settings for 1994 CBR 900 RR-R?

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Bolthole 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend the best settings for standard suspension given that I'm weighing in at 255lbs (115Kg) not including my riding gear?

I imagine that the pre-load would need to be increased, but as for the other settings... well... does anyone have any advice or ideally the best settings based on their own experience?

Obviously I'm considering a suspension upgrade but for now I could do with some advice given that Summer is nearly upon us and I want to get out and ride!

Thanks...

#2 ·
Can anyone recommend the best settings for standard suspension given that I'm weighing in at 255lbs (115Kg) not including my riding gear? I imagine that the pre-load would need to be increased, but as for the other settings... well... does anyone have any advice or ideally the best settings based on their own experience?
There are no "best" settings.
Set the suspension up so it works how you want it to with the way you ride.
This may help though - http://www.fireblades.org/forums/general-discussion/72606-oil-for-forks.html#post773665

#3 ·
Fair point mate and thanks for the link to the thread, although I'll have to take a bit of time to digest it all!

I'm using the stock damping settings at the moment with the front and rear pre-loads increased by 2 stops. I tend to do ordinary/fast road riding. To be honest I don't get enough time in the saddle to develop the feel for this properly, being away for three months at a time with work - am I way off by thinking that I need a bit of extra pre-load, given my large size?

Cheers...

#4 ·
To be honest I don't get enough time in the saddle to develop the feel for this properly, being away for three months at a time with work - am I way off by thinking that I need a bit of extra pre-load, given my large size?
I'm around 110kg myself :)
It depends on how much the suspension is sagging when you climb aboard and how much travel you're using while riding.
You would more likely need heavier springs although my suspension is all original other than the front air gap.
Preload only alters the amount of travel you have.
If the forks are bottoming when you are at about 25% rider sag then you need springs. You can wind in more preload to get more travel, thus requiring more load before the forks bottom but you're likely to then suffer from too little fork extension.

#5 ·
Thanks Larry, that's great. I'll go through the measurements when I get back.

It's not bad just now, but you know how it is... someone on a newer, faster machine shows you a clean pair of heels and suddenly you can't stop trying to 'upgrade'!!!

Cheers,

Paul.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.