Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all. I would like to ask you guys what would you recommend for a good adjustment settings for my front and rear suspension for the preload,damping and rebound im 5'7 and 200lbs. For my 954 because im not happy with the stock settings thanks in advance.:thumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
how do you change the settings of the suspension ? just curious since i see so many mention it ... and sorry not trying to hijack your thread

·
Registered
16 Posts
Musta tol!
Pre, I have a 2002 954 with stock suspension
Preload depends of course on your weight, I'm 5'8" and 200lbs fully geared. I like to have between 30 - 35mm up front and 25 - 30mm rear of preload. (factoring in my 5mm of stiction)
Front preload: 9 turns out
Front rebound damping: 2.5 turns out
Front comp. damping: 2 turns out
Rear preload: position 3 from top
Rear rebound damping: 2 turns out
Rear comp. damping: 2 turns out
I've run these settings on 3 different tracks and it's served me well, only changing half a turn here and there depending on the track surface or tires I'm running.
Take this with a grain of salt if you are only on public streets, since track conditions are smoother, and you'll probably tune for more comfort.
Don't forget top off the gas any luggage etc. or whatever extra weight you want to keep consistent when making your tweaks. This is a great setup for your ride to marilaque

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
What exactly aren't you happy about with the existing settings? Settings for the street are really subjective according to your personal preference (ie. soft or firm ride etc). Settings for the track are completely different and many more things are taken into consideration. I suggest you get a couple of friends to help you set the static sag to 35mm front and rear (there are lots of instructions on how to do this... google is your friend). Once you have the sag properly set you can start mucking with the compression and rebound.

·
Registered
33 Posts
its not that im not liking the suspension setup , its just good to know how to do the setting changes just in case i do begin to not like the settings .. kind of a preemptive strike hah

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Owners manual gives detailed instructions. Here is a RC51 owners manual. This one has all the same information as my 954RR's manual. The suspension adjustment starts on pg. 125
Do not post links to illegal material on this site!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
ok, when i get back from vacation i'll scan the pages from my owners manual and post them.

maybe.:rotfl:
That's fine, as long as you don't scan too much of it :)
It would be quicker to simply type them out though since there's not exactly pages of suspension settings.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i was kidding. anyway i was under the impression that the manuals on the site are not illegal because they don't have all the pages. I know the service manual for my Buell is missing the whole process for dropping the engine and some other basic stuff. I ended up buying a used service manual anyway when i had to replace the front head.

If it's illegal, then it wont upset me one bit if a mod edits the post. Just tryin to help a fellow rider

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
i was kidding. anyway i was under the impression that the manuals on the site are not illegal because they don't have all the pages. I know the service manual for my Buell is missing the whole process for dropping the engine and some other basic stuff. I ended up buying a used service manual anyway when i had to replace the front head.

If it's illegal, then it wont upset me one bit if a mod edits the post. Just tryin to help a fellow rider
Without the permission of the publisher or copywrite holder it is illegal to make it available online.
We all know they're around but this forum does not support the distribution of such materials. If somebody wants it they merely have to Google it for themselves.
Small sections of them would probably be okay under the fair use provisions.
I recently posted all the colour wiring diagrams from my Haynes manual here for example.
Personally I think the manufacturer should supply the full manual with every bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts