Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 954. I weigh 225 lbs in full gear. I am a moderate rider who is learning real quick. I do mostly canyon carving and street riding with some occasional wheelies. My suspension right now is completely stock and it feels excessively mushy most of the time and makes me feel extremely uncomfortable pushing the bike to its limit especially when I am in a turn. The front feels way too soft while the rear only somewhat.

1. What would you knowledgeable suspension guys suggest I set my compression at front and rear?

2. Also what you suggest I set my spring preload at, front and rear?

Thanks alot any advise will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Max front preload, min rear preload. Seriously think about at least respringing (1.05?) your stock forks.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I agree that you should max out front preload, no question that it still won't be enough until you respring the front.   Even .95 should have enough adjustment to be good for you.  1.00 may be better, and 1.05 may be a bit much.  Stock is about .73.

For the rear, I would say go to about the middle of the range and try that.  I run four clicks off of full soft in the rear for the track.  It seems to keep the bouncing down better than the 3 clicks I was using for a year.

I only weigh 163 without or 185 with gear, so I run a .95 front spring, with no preload at all. I've seen Dan Kyle recommend that spring for people over 200 lbs, so it has a pretty wide range of riders that it will accomodate.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, So I should max out preload in the front. That is what I figured. And I am still unclear for what I should do in the rear, should I seriously do minimum preload, or should I leave it as is? And I am still confused on what I should set my rebound at or what ever those little screws are called that adjust dampening. In other words I don't know if I should leave them stock or should I adjust them a couple clicks. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I was referring to rear spring preload only. I don't even remember what my own rear compression and rebound settings are!

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
'I only weigh 163 without or 185 with gear'

Dayummm did you buy the leathers with the lead zippers?

All my gear only weighs 16 lbs . . .

·
Registered
272 Posts
damn little guys...

speaking for a fat ass such as myself, I know nada about suspension....when I first had my pal dial it in...pretty much what everyone else said. I had the front maxed out, but the stock springs were crap. The front still dived when I braked.

As for the rear they adjusted as best as they could. I eventually had my front forks completely resprung with sport springs and fresh oil. The rear was completely trashed for a custom made one with a rear spring for my fat ass. It felt comfy but took a little getting used to. On the freeway it felt like me rear tire was bouncing way too much as it was stiffer...but after some more adjustments a couple of track days..the bike is fine.

Basically the stock set up is only good for like a 135-165 rider...if you pushing 200 the stock stuff aint helping ya.

·
Registered
276 Posts
HyrePower : I have a 2003 954.  I weigh 225 lbs in full gear.  I am a moderate rider who is learning real quick.  I do mostly canyon carving and street riding with some occasional wheelies. My suspension right now is completely stock and it feels excessively mushy most of the time and makes me feel extremely uncomfortable pushing the bike to its limit especially when I am in a turn. The front feels way too soft while the rear only somewhat.

1. What would you knowledgeable suspension guys suggest I set my compression at front and rear?

2. Also what you suggest I set my spring preload at, front and rear?

Thanks alot any advise will be greatly appreciated.
If I were you I would visit a local suspension shop. There's gotta be few in Vegas.

I weigh 230 and am running .90 springs for road ridimg; they are great. I'd say don't go above .95 for road riding or you'll beat yourself to death. I, however ride a 929, which has more travel than a 954. So never mind.

I revalved my Showa rear and am going to change to a 850 or 900 pound straight rate shock spring. You can also put an external 2mm or so shim under the shock spring and set preload at 4 or 5 rather than the 7 or 8 needed for the straight stock rear shock. This works and costs next to nothing.

my free $0.02 worth.

bw

·
Registered
768 Posts
Abtech, that is the weight of all my track gear. I thought my leathers were on the thinner side. I am surprised that your's would weigh any less.

Boots (Sidi Race Verts)
Gloves
Back Protector (Knox Pro Race)
Helmet
Leathers
Knee sliders - (Teknic) These are pretty heavy.

I wear it all but the sliders when I street ride.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Z Custom leathers
AGV X Vent Helmet
Technique gloves (Old style w/o the carbon or chrome crap)
Bates Back protector
SMX Plus boots (or Gaernes or whatever feels right at the time)
Asphalt and Gas knee pucks
Yves St Laurent underwear
Polo socks
Ten dollar bill for the corner worker that pushes my bike when I crash
2 smokes (1 for the corner worker and one for while I wait for the race to end after crashing)
1 pack of matches (see above)

Total: 16 pounds

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
abtech : Ten dollar bill for the corner worker that pushes my bike when I crash
2 smokes (1 for the corner worker and one for while I wait for the race to end after crashing)

You an Eagle Scout Ab?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hey man, I actually weighed my stuff. I didn't just pull that figure out of my underwear. Did it on beam scale at the gym. I actually packed all my stuff in there in a big sack.

Way back when I had my forks done, I told Dan my weight with and without. He said that was typical weight for full gear.

So, you're sure now?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
abtech : Z Custom leathers
AGV X Vent Helmet
Technique gloves (Old style w/o the carbon or chrome crap)
Bates Back protector
SMX Plus boots (or Gaernes or whatever feels right at the time)
Asphalt and Gas knee pucks
Yves St Laurent underwear
Polo socks
Ten dollar bill for the corner worker that pushes my bike when I crash

Total: 16 pounds
 You really buy socks from Ralph Lauren?

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Hey Polo socks are sold in Penneys, Sears and Marshall Fields around here. They usually last a couple of years and seem to be made of reasonably high quality material. They are also about the best fit when I'm wearing racing boots.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Zippy : Hey man, I actually weighed my stuff.  I didn't just pull that figure out of my underwear.   Did it on beam scale at the gym.   I actually packed all my stuff in there in a big sack.

Way back when I had my forks done, I told Dan my weight with and without.  He said that was typical weight for full gear.  

So, you're sure now?
Ummmm, I deal with Dan damn near on a weekly basis and we have gone around the block on rider weight.  I didn't use a bag with my stuff, I went to my Doctor's office and weighed myself with and without all my gear on a Toledo balance scale.  The difference was 16 pounds and about 3 ounces if I remember correctly.

BTW, this is the same doctor that signed the bill of health cert for my AMA and WERA Pro licenses, so he's not easily surprised about stuff like this . . .

·
Registered
768 Posts
I did pretty much the same thing, also on a Toledo beam scale. I was carefull when I measured, so I am surprised that I might be wrong about it.

When you and Dan went 'round on the issue, what was the debate about? Just curious. I don't think the few pounds of difference matters in a practical sense, seeing that our gear weight difference amounts to about the weight of a gallon of gas.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts