Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I know nothing about suspension, but the front end on my 954 seems pretty stiff. I would like to soften things up a bit. I think the previous owner may have messed w/ it, and I would like to get some oppinions as to where everything should be.

Please dumb it all down for me. I don't know what all the different setting sare for, but want to learn. I'm very interested in what everyone's oppions are.

BTW: I am 5'8'' 200 lbs.

Thanks,

HD

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I'd begin by opening up your OM and dialing it all back to stock settings. That way you know the point from which you're starting. Considering your weight, I would tend to think you'd need an extra turn or two of front preload, an extra click preload out back as well. If stock settings for compression and rebound damping prove a bit too jarring for poking around town, simply go out with a screwdriver and experiment while on a ride. Ride. Stop. Adjust. Repeat. You'll find the sweet spot. I typically use the stock settings all around but for quite a bit of additional shock and fork preload due to my weight.

Good basic reading here, especially if you're not familiar with the nomenclature.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/suspensionadjust/

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I just finished putting everything back to stock setting w/ the exception of the rear pre-load I have at 3 rather than the stock 4. I had softened it once before so decided to leave it and see how it felt.

I'll be leaving see to go to the endurance race at Nelson (meeting another friend first). That should be a good ride to see how it feels.

HD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts