Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to this forum and new to building bikes ....I was told I could install a 2002 Honda cbr 600 rr motor in to a 1998 cbr 900 rr frame but I've came to a road block with my gas tank since the old bike was carbeurated and didn't have the air box what will I use for my gas tank

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hello I am new to this forum and new to building bikes ....I was told I could install a 2002 Honda cbr 600 rr motor in to a 1998 cbr 900 rr frame but I've came to a road block with my gas tank since the old bike was carbeurated and didn't have the air box what will I use for my gas tank
Welcome, Snappo123. I'm looking forward to the suggestions for your tank. What was your motivation to make this change?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to ride and bought the first frame I found then began looking for a motor and it was also the first I could find..I had my buddy check it out and he said it would work so we started it and have since parted ways lol

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,607 Posts
Hey Snap, I've never heard that a 600RR motor will fit in a 900RR frame. Do you remember who said that to you? You can certainly try to use all the plumbing including the tank, as a member here did it with a CBR1000RR motor/fuel tank/airbox in a 95 900RR frame. He cut the 900RR tank to use as a shell over the 1000's tank.

I'm curious to know how the engine itself lines up in the frame. Can you post pictures??

·
Registered
421 Posts
Surely it would easier and more economical to flip the 600 engine and buy a proper 1998 Fireblade engine which will be plug and play. Plus the 900 has more power and torque. Simples!
I am completely with Gunk on this one. :thumb: Post#3 says that Snappo123 is free to take his own path, which should start with a 9, IMHO. :wink

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's a couple pics you can see this is a big project for someone who has ridden much less worked on one of these things and forgive me for thinking that this was the place that you went while making those mistakes. I'll just stick with hands on learning process

Attachments

·
7,607 Posts
Here's a couple pics you can see this is a big project for someone who has ridden much less worked on one of these things and forgive me for thinking that this was the place that you went while making those mistakes. I'll just stick with hands on learning process
Aside from the motor, what other "issues" are you facing? That looks like an F4 swing arm as well, which I would have to guess by it's set up will not work. The linkages and mounts for the 900 are very different. Was that swing arm on it when you got it?

To save you a lot of time, you might want to seriously consider selling the 600 motor and finding a 900 motor. The sub-frame is also hacked up but, I'm guessing that's because of the 929 looking tail section.

You have a lot of work there, we aren't very familiar will such modifications that you're presenting. While we have years and tears of riding experience and some "typical" mod experience, there just isn't enough traffic on this site with custom work like you plan on doing.

There is one thread here, but I don't know if the pictures are still view-able. He put the 1k motor in his 900 frame, with massive frame cutting, welding, and removal of the coil cross beam.

He has a YouTube channel now, and can shed some light on what you may need to do with the 600 motor.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Eyeballing up pictures of the 600F4i engine against the 900RR engine shows a distinct lack of similarity with the engine mounting locations. The 600F4i has the swing arm mounted to the back of the engine (like the later 929/954 Fireblades) but the carbed blades have the swingarm mounted to the frame so likely to be conflicts here.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
. . . The 600F4i has the swing arm mounted to the back of the engine (like the later 929/954 Fireblades) but the carbed blades have the swingarm mounted to the frame so likely to be conflicts here.
Whoa! That would make the changeover near impossible for the average guy, surely?:eek:

·
7,607 Posts
Was this you saying goodbye?

Man I hope not.

You've posted about a tremendously ODD rebuild project. We've asked for more information and pictures, which you provided. Then you appear to close the door. We have provided you with good, accurate information and suggestions.

This is what forum usage is all about. You can surely do what you wish but, with what you presented we only have a limited amount of experience to offer you.

I can't speak for everyone here, but you need to have a little bit thicker skin than to make 2 posts and feel slighted. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong and I own it.

But, you're walking out on DECADES of first hand experience with these bikes. Not with what you're doing exactly, but with how everything works with them and every nut and bolt on them.

I hope I read your post wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I am always disturbed and upset when these 'mishaps' occur on forums. We are all hampered by relying on the written word only (plus pics) so there is no facial or emotional connection to go with statements.

Even though I had nothing positive to offer the thread, other than my belief it would be a massive project, I also hope that @Snappo123 might have offered a throw away comment due to the frustration of his project rather than frustration with those who have taken time and effort to help.

From my point of view, it is a massive undertaking and one that if simplicity is the overriding objective, a motor change back to a 900cc would produce no problems. If Snappo's heart is really set on the 600 changeover, there has been tips offered here that might not be available on other Honda forums of which I am a member.

So @Snappo123 , we are all of the same interest. We are all motorcyclists with one objective: enjoyment!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts