Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The digital display/tacho what ever you wanna call it is kind of melting on my bike... Has any one come across this? :huh:

I'll try and get some pics if I can later but my phone is usually annoying. There's one good sized melt on the outside that almost looks like some one got to close with a soldering iron and then in the RPM bit there's 3 tears, I wasn't to concerned thinking they weren't growing that much but I rode it at night for the first time in a while and it was obvious that they have, and rather quickly!

I've been told that the bulb is too hot... Do you know if they are sealed units or can I replace the bulb? When I get the time I'm going to strip the front end to have a look at the unit but if some one on here has already come across this any advice would be muchly appreciated. The other thing I've been told is that it could be the sun coming through the double bubble screen, personally I doubt that.

It's a 2002 CBR954RR with 40K on the clock if that helps at all.

Cheers, Jaz

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hi all,

The digital display/tacho what ever you wanna call it is kind of melting on my bike... Has any one come across this? :huh:

I'll try and get some pics if I can later but my phone is usually annoying. There's one good sized melt on the outside that almost looks like some one got to close with a soldering iron and then in the RPM bit there's 3 tears, I wasn't to concerned thinking they weren't growing that much but I rode it at night for the first time in a while and it was obvious that they have, and rather quickly!

I've been told that the bulb is too hot... Do you know if they are sealed units or can I replace the bulb? When I get the time I'm going to strip the front end to have a look at the unit but if some one on here has already come across this any advice would be muchly appreciated. The other thing I've been told is that it could be the sun coming through the double bubble screen, personally I doubt that.

It's a 2002 CBR954RR with 40K on the clock if that helps at all.

Cheers, Jaz

Have you got an aftermarket screen?
I've seen instrument clusters melted because the screen focuses the heat into a spot like a magnifying glass.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Have you got an aftermarket screen?
I've seen instrument clusters melted because the screen focuses the heat into a spot like a magnifying glass.
It is after market... Does that really, actually happen though?!

Which screens would you suggest? Seeing as how you're also in Aus that'll make things a lil easier haha

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

Which screens would you suggest? Seeing as how you're also in Aus that'll make things a lil easier haha

I've seen and heard of it enough times to believe that it does.
I think it comes down to luck somewhat in that the position of the bike at the particular time of day plays a huge role in the result.
No idea, being in Perth everybody generally uses Eagle Screens as they're made here. I couldn't count how many I've bought, maybe a dozen or more, and have to pick up another one next week.

·
Registered
791 Posts
My 98 has that same damage, but my bike has a solid black screen on it. No focussing power there.

It was caused by the bulb directly behind the mark. Swapped em for LEDs now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm actually starting to wonder if I might have both things going on :eek:

My RPM does look like the pic there... But then after thinking about it the damage on the out side that looks like a soldering iron might be from the screen. Thinking I'll put some sort of make shift cover up between the screen and the display and if it keeps happening than I know it's the bulb.

When you changed the bulb to LED's was it easy/cheap to do and where did you get the LED's from? Cheers :thumb:

Which year is your bike amorti? I'm guessing it's earlier than 2002?

·
Registered
332 Posts

Yes it really does happen, but i believe that it's only with double bubble screens. One of the manufacturers of screens in the uk (can't remember which one) used to have an example of this on their website.

cheers
Simon

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
r15 is correct. Double bubs have harnessed the power of the sun and are out to ruin your instrument cluster.
I recommend having a very small cloth of some kind to put over the gauges if you are going to park in the sun for an extended period of time. or just get a non-double bubblin' screen :smilebig:

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Food for thought, did some googling and here is what I found, apparently MRA makes a double bubble that will not melt your cluster....here is a response from the CEO when asked about this....

We are aware about the problem of the sunburned panels. Actually we are the company who found out the real reason of that problem. You know, we made the double bubble screens for almost all racing teams in the World Championship including the factory Teams.
We offered the first double bubble screens for traffic use already in 1994.
Then the problem appeared in the late 90ies. First we did not believe that there is a relation to the double bubble screens, but when we investigated this matter, we found out that the upper bubble has the effect of a parabol mirror. Then we modified the shape of the double bubble screens in order to avoid light concentrations. With our CAD system, we are now able to simulate and measure the sunlight concentration, and we already solve the problem when designing the new screens. So we can say that this does not happen anymore. For the cases with melted panle or meter with the first double bubble screens, we were responsible for the damages and paid for the repair costs.
Our warranty covers this cases too.

As you mention other brands: I know, that they consider it very different. Some do deny the responsibility, and others have stickers on the screen, to explain how to parc the bike, so that the sun does not shine into the screen from backwards. Or others do supply a carton or cloth that is to cover the instrument panel for protection. Very funny and not very satisfying for customers.
Well, I hope I could distroy your worries. Our warranty covers this cases too.
Please feel free to contact me again, if you need more information.

Wishing you always happy and safe riding with your CBR 600,

Johannes
--
Johannes Klement
Geschäftsführer / CEO

MRA Klement GmbH
Siemens Str. 6
D-79331 Teningen

Tel.: +49(0)7663 938915
Fax: +49(0)7663 938911

E-mail: [email protected]
Internet: www.mra.de

·
Registered
330 Posts
Apparently if you park facing the sun it doesn't happen. Only when the front of the bike is pointed away from the sun does this happen. Both Puig and Zero Gravity state this on their websites.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Apparently if you park facing the sun it doesn't happen. Only when the front of the bike is pointed away from the sun does this happen. Both Puig and Zero Gravity state this on their websites.
Is painting or Plasti Dipping the underside of the shield a considerable option? That's what I would do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies and info... Learn something new every day! I'd be interested to find out if painting them would work too as that's a much cheaper option! Even if it'd just last me for 6 months until I can afford a better screen.

Thanks again :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What about my case with a gloss black DB screen? black isn't known as the most reflective "mirror" surface?
Maybe it's still the plastic particles? Where as a matt paint shouldn't be able to reflect at all... I'm just not sure if it would vibrate and chip/crack off within a few hundred kms :idunno:

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Is painting or Plasti Dipping the underside of the shield a considerable option? That's what I would do.
I sprayed the inside of my screen last year (came with a double-bubble, but clear). Turned out great, even nicely hid the scratches that were in it. Just used a regular black car spray with about 3 coats.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Attached (hopefully) is a pic of my tacho... There's the melts/tears in the RPM display and then there is the melt on the plastic surrounding the display.

Have taken off all the fairings/headlight but ran out of time to get the display open yesterday.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have finally got down to it... Now have a bit of a "now what" feeling :rotfl:

There actually aren't any lights under where the melting is occurring... Is it safe to therefore assume it's not the bulb and is the screen that's doing it?

My screen isn't actually a double bubble (as far as I know?) it seems to be just a regular screen... It's a Bestem screen... I have to be honest and say I know nothing of them.

All I know, is I wanna be out riding!! :crying:

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts