Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Linky

Quote AMA Pro Racing needs 30 sections of Air Fence at $2900 each. I’ve already written a check for one section.

I need 29 other people (or groups of people) who are sick and tired of waiting for something to happen to each kick in $2900 and buy a section of Air Fence. Just 29 people out of 240 million Americans, 29 people who care about a son, a brother, a rider, a friend. Just 29 people who are tired of excuses and inaction. Just 29 people willing to get it done right now.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
on that note, this poser, myself, has an AMA patch on his leathers, i have for a long time put tape over that patch. I am a AMA member for 14 years now, but they seriously need to do something (alot of things) with their Roadracing Series. Yes the AMA does tons of lobbying for this that and the other thing but if they cannot give the Series the 110% attention it needs and deserves, then the AMA needs to hand over the sanctioning of this series to someone else, FIM maybe. The riders (and fans) deserve better.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Heavy-Dee : Linky

Quote AMA Pro Racing needs 30 sections of Air Fence at $2900 each. I’ve already written a check for one section.

I need 29 other people (or groups of people) who are sick and tired of waiting for something to happen to each kick in $2900 and buy a section of Air Fence. Just 29 people out of 240 million Americans, 29 people who care about a son, a brother, a rider, a friend. Just 29 people who are tired of excuses and inaction. Just 29 people willing to get it done right now.
HD

I remember this from a couple of years ago. (I think the link is dated 2001.) Since then, RRW accumulated a lot of money for Airfences, which are still regularly deployed at AMA races, and several people,Kevin Schwantz among them,won election to their regional AMA boards on a slate supporting Ulrich's point of view.

I do not know what the impact was on the organization. I don't think it had the intended revolutionary effect.

I haven't been moved to join that organization at this point.

'Recent contributions to the Roadracing World Action Fund from businesses, teams and individuals have sent the total collected for educational deployment of road racing soft barriers to $251,607.30.'

RoadRacingWorld's Air Fence Fund

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
didn't Schwantz have to bow out of that elected position for one reason or another. I think it was because he was on one of the big 4's payroll or something?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I recall something about that, but I'm not clear as to the reason.

So If AMA doesn't represent the racers well, or the manufacturers, hmmm. Maybe they could join in with ABATE and get states to repeal no-helmet laws, so lots of their membership could die horribly and the public's perception of riders could suffer even more. ..

Oh, right. I guess they've done that.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I laughed out loud when I first read this a couple of years ago:

'But I am anti-stupidity, anti-ignorance, and anti-arrogance.'

I didn't find it funny this time because Mr Ulich's agenda has always been a moving target and since 2001 has decided to take even more 'arrogant' shots at some very sincere hard working people in the industry (Dan Kyle for example).

Although great sounding rhetoric and a noble cause, Ulich's motives have always been personal (and if he reads this will probably threaten to sue me).  I have no affection for any of the AMA racing people and haven't been a member since I was required to race under another name with FIM so I wouldn't be black listed from AMA Pro events in the late 60's/early 70's, but RRW and it's publisher have never dealt from the top of the deck (just ask any of the competitors in the (now abandoned by Ulrich) WERA National Endurance series).

Sorry, but this piece is entirely political and not humanitarian in any way whatsoever.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote Although great sounding rhetoric and a noble cause, Ulich's motives have always been personal (and if he reads this will probably threaten to sue me). I have no affection for any of the AMA racing people and haven't been a member since I was required to race under another name with FIM so I wouldn't be black listed from AMA Pro events in the late 60's/early 70's, but RRW and it's publisher have never dealt from the top of the deck (just ask any of the competitors in the (now abandoned by Ulrich) WERA National Endurance series).

Abtech,

You make some interesting comments. I, being new to the sport and the 'climate' of the road racing series' didn't realize who this dude was, or that the article was fairly old. Sounds like you have some interesting insight.

Why did you have to race under another name? What does Ulrich have to do w/ that? In what way has this dude abandoned WERA?

Feel free to answer in a PM so you don't get sued.

Eager to learn as I plan on doing at least one endurance race w/ WERA next summer.

HD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts