Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm signed up for my first track day. I'll be spending some spare time in the next 2 weeks getting the bike ready, including the safety wireing, new tires, removing blinkers, etc. All my gear is bought and I am crazy pumped. Does anyone have experience with this track and care to comment on tire pressure and suspension settings?
B

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'll also be down for Sunday's track day at Talladega.  We were on it about a month ago.  It's a great little track, especially for your first time.  It's pretty tight, with 3 180 turns in a row.  Normally they reverse the direction after lunch to help with tire wear.  The track is set up with five turns one way and only one the other.

As far as tire pressure, we run 31 in the front and 30 in the rear.  I'll have an air tank with me if you need to make adjustments as the day goes on.  My suspension is pretty rigid.  With stock front springs you almost can't get them stiff enough.  I don't know the numbers right off hand for the front, but the rear is one click from full hard on compression.

Come find us Sunday morning when you get there.  I'll have a Black/white/gray 900rr and my buddy will be on a blue R1.  We'll be in a grey dodge ram and under a green tent.

See you there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*excitement building* Thanks for your reply, I'll definatly have to come look you up. I dropped the bike off last night with Spud so that he could mount and balance a pair of his take offs from a practice session at Barbers. When he opened his garage there was motorcycle candy everywhere. See you there.
B

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gentlemen thanks again for your help. I managed to get the oil drain plug drilled and safety wired, as well as a clamp around the oil filter that is also safety wired. Is there anything else that needs to be safety wired according to what Talledega requires? I've gotten the tires changed, supercorsas (soft and extra soft) as well as flushing out the coolant for distilled water. I have pulled the headlight fuse and removed the blinkers (what a pain the rears were). I will tape the glass before I go. Is there anything I'm missing?
thanks,
B

·
Registered
93 Posts
STT doesn't require safety wiring anything, so you should be ok.  If you haven't already, pull off your passenger rearsets, license plate, and kickstand.  Other than that, just enjoy the ride!  See you this weekend.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Pater : STT doesn't require safety wiring anything, so you should be ok.  If you haven't already, pull off your passenger rearsets, license plate, and kickstand.  Other than that, just enjoy the ride!  See you this weekend.
STT does require wiring and no antifreeze...the beginner group is not as strict but I would still have my bike fully ready incase you want to move up a group.

I'll be there both days.  Stop by and say whatz up.  Silver w/ primer 954, black dodge truck and black trailer.

A note on the track, it is rough...has tons of grip but will eat your tires up.  Harder compounds may last longer.  The do switch direction but not at lunch.  Saturday will be the normal direction (counter clockwise) and Sunday will be clock wise.

From sportbiketracktime.com  Remember number 10!!!! No FUR!

Bike Preparation (Also know as '101 uses for duct tape')

1) All bikes MUST pass technical inspection prior to admittance to the track. If your bike DOES NOT pass tech inspection, you will NOT receive a refund.
2) Tires and brakes must be in good condition. Tires should be at least 75% of new condition. Any tires that are bluing from excessive wear will be disallowed. Slicks are allowed in 85% plus condition. We will have on site tire service at each track day, so if your tires don't pass, you will have the opportunity to put on replacement tires to pass tech.
3) All glass, headlight, turn signals, and plastic lenses must be taped over or removed. Side mirrors must be removed for the advanced group and at least taped over for all other groups.
4) We recommend, but do not require removal of center stands. No bikes with center stands will be allowed in the Advanced/Racer Group due to the ground clearance issue.
5) All machines must have an operational handlebar mounted kill switch/button and self-closing throttle in good working condition.
6) Advanced and Intermediate group riders MUST use water or water wetter in place of coolant at all events.
7) All valve stems must have caps.
8) Wheel balance weights must be well-secured.
9) License plates must have bolts taped or be removed.
10) No Fur Allowed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
02FBlade, sent you a PM. Where do their rules require wiring? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Well sorry for the confusion...after reading what I posted fully....I don't see any wire requirements....I just assumed.  Most folks do require that.

If it's not on the list, I'd say you don't need it.  I would call Monte at STT to confirm if you are worried about it.

I say just wire it...you'll be ready for other track days that do require it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After some digging I think its the track that requires wiring and no antifreeze.  I'm all set and ready except a back protector which I'll have to get local now because I've waited so long.  I've been putting it off because I didn't really know what to look for in one.  Anyway, I'm going to print this post and carry it around looking for you guys Sunday.  I can't wait, Thanks again for all the advice.  See you there.
B

edit: Great vids O2F! thanks

·
Registered
661 Posts
Monte might have some rental back protectors and I know he'll have some bohns protectors for sale. Call him now if you want to rent one. I have an alpinestars one but I hear the bohns protectors are really good.

Thanks on the vids. I hope to get some more footage this weekend.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Who is Monte? and how much is the rental? I would probably be very interested in trying one before buying when I don't know what kind of fit i'm looking for.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Monte or his wife is who you will talk to if you call sportbiketracktime.com They are really cool and always helpful. You should call soon. they will probably be on the road tomorrow.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good tip. I called them but they had already left to support another trackday. I emailed him, but don't expect a response until they get back, which of course will be after the track day. On another note, do any of you guys have ramps to get your bike up into the back of a truck? I'm supposed to borrow a friends ramp (and have him help me get it up and down) but i was thinking of making my own. I hate depending on others too much.
B

·
Registered
661 Posts
Monte use to leave a cell phone number on the message???  If he did I'd call him if you need to rent a back protector or if you want to see what sizes of bohns protectors he is bringing to the track.

I have a ramp you can use.  Look for a std cab, black dodge hemi & black trailer....and of course a blade (954) with primered skinz. and a big tall fukker.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Pushbike, what will you be riding/driving Sunday. We plan on getting there when the track opens in the morning. Look for the Charcoal Gray Dodge Ram (no it's not got a hemi in it) with the white trailer behind it.

Later.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll be driving a blue GMC Sierra and the bike is the silver/blk 02 stock colors.  I too am planning on being there first thing in the morning.  
O2F: I was thinking about calling the cell, but I thought I'd give them most of today to see if they checked that email.  I'll call them this afternoon if I don't hear from them which will leave me time to get to a store.  Can you provide a description of your ramp (or link) because I was really thinking of making one.  It shouldn't be too complicated to make really.  I just haven't ever seen anyone ramp a bike into/out of the back of a truck.  (do you even sit on the bike while removing from truck bed and if so is the ramp wide enough to put your feet down?)
<---clueless really

·
Registered
661 Posts
It's a folding Al. ramp 6' long maybe 4' wide....made for 4 wheelers. I've only used it on my trailers so I don't know how steep the angle would be on your truck/tailgate.  We can always find a little ditch to get the tail gate/ramp angle lower and usually anyone around will jump in and help.

Don't worry, well get you unloaded and loaded.

I would walk it up....I've seem one guy ride it into his truck bed and popped a huge wheelie and smashed out his rear window!!!!! funny chit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts