Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

just trying to getting an idea of whats best in the way of luggage for a trip to Ireland I am planning, I think that a Bagster tank bag as mines a plastic tank but the rear sports panniers are a cause for concern:confused: .

Does anyone have any experience of throw over type, I have an 05 Blade and cant make my mind up panniers or rucksack :idunno:

Cheers :thumb:

·
Registered
900 Posts
After a long ride down through France into Spain, i would not use a large tank bag, it raind every day so was in my water proofs, and because of the tank bag could not get out of wind, very tiring plus having to remove the bag every 2 hours to fill up. My mate used a oxford sport paniers and they were fine, i now use a large seat bag that you can extend, gets all i want in it and stays dry, did a three day run down to lands end in the rain and it was great....

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hi,

just trying to getting an idea of whats best in the way of luggage for a trip to Ireland I am planning, I think that a Bagster tank bag as mines a plastic tank but the rear sports panniers are a cause for concern:confused: .

Does anyone have any experience of throw over type, I have an 05 Blade and cant make my mind up panniers or rucksack :idunno:

Cheers :thumb:
Buy a bunch of nice big galvanised washers and silicone them under the tank cover.
Then you can run a magnetic bag.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys,

Rick ITFC
What make of tail bag did you get? Sounds like it may be an option

Bladeracer,
What a great idea lateral thinking. I will be trying that out over the weekend!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi

I have used a Oxford Humpback Tank Bag, and agree they are a pain when filling the bike and deffo a pain in the neck. I had my head stuck in the wind for 3,000 miles a couple of years ago, and would not do it again. I used the Oxford Humpback Panniers at the same time, bloody hard work carrying the tank bag, two panniers, helmet and SatNav. I always manage to drop the SatNav or helmet, and never the bags. Also I found no matter what I wrapped the plastics in, they got marked up with pressure marks. (fitted to a Kawasaki ZX636R)

Due to the above experiences I decided to try a Kriega R35 rucksack, it's very good for up to 100 miles as long as it is not too heavily loaded. I have used it to travel to the south of Spain. The journey from north Spain to south Spain in one hit, I got to Albacete and could not feel my arms any more. (used on my Fireblade 2008)

I have now come to the decision to use a tail pack. The Ventura system is very good as recommended by others on here. I am thinking about fabricating my own frame and mounting a top box above the rear seat. I would prefer a water proof, secure 45L suitcase mounted above the rear seat than the Ventura bag in the same place.

Hope the info is useful in some way.

............. Hoody :cool:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Looks like you carry a lot of stuff while touring m8 :smilebig: Do you fit more above the rear seat or is that for the passenger? Mine is a one seat only, so just enough metal work to support a top box above the back seat is all I am thinking of, with a key to release it, waterproof and secure.

I think I remember the post, but cannot remember the details and it's too late here to read it up.

........... Hoody :cool:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hi

I have used a Oxford Humpback Tank Bag, and agree they are a pain when filling the bike and deffo a pain in the neck. I had my head stuck in the wind for 3,000 miles a couple of years ago, and would not do it again. I used the Oxford Humpback Panniers at the same time, bloody hard work carrying the tank bag, two panniers, helmet and SatNav. I always manage to drop the SatNav or helmet, and never the bags. Also I found no matter what I wrapped the plastics in, they got marked up with pressure marks. (fitted to a Kawasaki ZX636R)

Due to the above experiences I decided to try a Kriega R35 rucksack, it's very good for up to 100 miles as long as it is not too heavily loaded. I have used it to travel to the south of Spain. The journey from north Spain to south Spain in one hit, I got to Albacete and could not feel my arms any more. (used on my Fireblade 2008)

I have now come to the decision to use a tail pack. The Ventura system is very good as recommended by others on here. I am thinking about fabricating my own frame and mounting a top box above the rear seat. I would prefer a water proof, secure 45L suitcase mounted above the rear seat than the Ventura bag in the same place.

Hope the info is useful in some way.

............. Hoody :cool:
I hate backpacks on the bike. Even travelling across Australia I didn't use one. I wear an army load-bearing equipment (LBE) harness instead. Mine's the Aussie army pattern which you can just see under my jacket where I've hung it over the back seat during a rest stop. Actually I do take a backpack but I hang it over the screen on the mirror stalks :)

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi marlou2804,
I use a bagster tank bag, along with a ventura rack and bag. I had concerns using throw over panniers and have used this system for many years on four different bikes that's how much I like the ventura idea. Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi marlou2804,
I use a bagster tank bag, along with a ventura rack and bag. I had concerns using throw over panniers and have used this system for many years on four different bikes that's how much I like the ventura idea. Good luck
Hey BigE, how you doin? I have a Ventura system complete with my Brutale, if I was to change to a CBR 1000RR would I have to change the rack system only or the bags as well? I have the 32lt, 51lt and 10lt day bag??

Thanks man!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Clearing slush off the drive while you bask in the sun!! :)
I was lucky I kept the racks from my old zx12R (12"). So all I needed was the "L" bracket kit. The system is recommended for forward facing the bag i.e. on the pillion seat. After fitting the brackets it looks like that is due to the fixing points. All bags fit the same. I've got the sports rack and the big motha hoop rack. No problems with it at all on the blade, I've done a few trips with the 50L bag, bike feels good, that good I got my knee down for the first time with the bag on. :thumb:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry Aussie "slush" is when snow starts to melt and goes icy and sh1tty. You probably haven't seen it :rotfl:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Clearing slush off the drive while you bask in the sun!! :)
I was lucky I kept the racks from my old zx12R (12"). So all I needed was the "L" bracket kit. The system is recommended for forward facing the bag i.e. on the pillion seat. After fitting the brackets it looks like that is due to the fixing points. All bags fit the same. I've got the sports rack and the big motha hoop rack. No problems with it at all on the blade, I've done a few trips with the 50L bag, bike feels good, that good I got my knee down for the first time with the bag on. :thumb:
Really sorry about the sun thing....... hang on please while I go turn the air conditioner down a bit, very hot today.....:smilebig:

Thanks for the info, I will ring the didtributer over here I think because if thats all I have to do then great .... big saving, cheers mate much appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
:) if you look at the racks you have, there should be a sticker, mine says "12" this means it's a 12" rack which the blade uses. I now have a 14" rack spare from my ZZR1400

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will ring the didtributer over here I think because if thats all I have to do then great .... big saving, cheers mate much appreciated.
Good luck trying to buy just the L rails. Ventura are a great rack and bag setup for your bike, but they have a STUPID FUGGIN POLICY of, you must buy the whole kit, bag and all. They won't just sell the rack to you. I found this out when I had to buy some new L rails after I dropped my bike. Luckily the shop that was doing the repairs said they would put the bag on their shelf and sell it. So good luck Aussie, let us know how you go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good luck trying to buy just the L rails. Ventura are a great rack and bag setup for your bike, but they have a STUPID FUGGIN POLICY of, you must buy the whole kit, bag and all. They won't just sell the rack to you. I found this out when I had to buy some new L rails after I dropped my bike. Luckily the shop that was doing the repairs said they would put the bag on their shelf and sell it. So good luck Aussie, let us know how you go.
Typical isn't it, go to love that after sale customer care...:mad: . I suppose I might be ok because all of the rack system for the Brutale I have has never been opened, all rails and bags and even storm covers are still in the bags.

Never got around to using it as I was working in the mines up North. I will give it a go and let you know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rang the distributer in NSW and he said that there was no problem returning the system minus the bags but I would be up for about $100 for the change over....:confused: I get to keep the bags and the rest but will need the whole new rack system.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts