Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Raced at MAM this past weekend with CCS. Didn't run HW Supersport as intended since I had a brand new set of unscuffed Michelin DOT's that I didn't think would take to the wet track very well. Saved the bike for Supertwins which was later in the day. Luckily the track had mostly dried out by that time. I got a decent start (one of my weaknesses) and was doing fine until I got parked behind a slower expert. I had a few chances to get past but wasn't aggressive enough and ended up running his pace too long. Finally got around and ended up 5th place amateur. I think I really might have had a shot at 3rd if I hadn't messed around with that guy for so long. My buddy got by me on his SV650 for 4th place. Again, I think I was messing around with the expert for too long or I might have gotten away from him. Still had a fun weekend and actually brought home wood!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
WTFG.......

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some pics from this weekend...

929flyer's 'Tard.  EVERYONE stopped by our pits to take a peek at it:

Pic 1

Sure am glad my racing partner got the EZ-Up for this weekend:

Pic 2

One of the Columbia boys didn't have such great luck:

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

The whole Columbia contingent:

Pic 7

Pic 8

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Congratulations, it makes the weekend seem all the more worthwhile doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had no idea what place I was in until my buddy handed me the plaque. Probably a good thing, since I might have pushed too much had I known. Conditions were sketchy all day, so I was just glad to have a clean race.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Hehe, it's hard to know where you are isn't it?

The first time I got a trophy, I won the race. I thought I was in the lead, but it was hard to know. I had a terrible start and was the last guy into turn 1 so I didn't know if someone had got away. The race was redflagged past the halfway point (no victory lap squidin ) and when I was first in, I realized I might have won! Well that, and my friend yelling and screaming as I pulled out of the hot pit.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It really didn't matter where I placed; I had a blast. Three of us were dicing pretty good for a while.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
tigerblade : It really didn't matter where I placed; I had a blast.  Three of us were dicing pretty good for a while.  
You da man, can't believe I haven't seen this thread before! Congrats man!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Way to go. Always nice to be recognized for your efforts.

How did the Michelins wear and grip at MAM? I understand the track is very abrasive and eats tires.

For what it is worth - when I see that I am catching someone slower, I say to myself, 'self, pass that dude'. 'Don't just catch 'em, think past 'em' and you will. Something else - think back on your corner entry under braking. Are you rolling off and coasting in? Pridmore suggests, 'either you are on the gas or you are on the brakes - no coasting'. I make that mistake all the time but am working on reducing it. Easy way to improve your lap times and pass under braking. Just my .02 worth.

Again, great result.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DCEMotorsports : Way to go.  Always nice to be recognized for your efforts.

How did the Michelins wear and grip at MAM?  I understand the track is very abrasive and eats tires.

For what it is worth - when I see that I am catching someone slower, I say to myself, 'self, pass that dude'.  'Don't just catch 'em, think past 'em' and you will.  Something else - think back on your corner entry under braking.  Are you rolling off and coasting in?  Pridmore suggests, 'either you are on the gas or you are on the brakes - no coasting'.  I make that mistake all the time but am working on reducing it.  Easy way to improve your lap times and pass under braking.  Just my .02 worth.

Again, great result.
I definitely need to improve corner entry speed.  There are times when I'm coasting.  It was just my third-ever race, so I'm still on the vertical learning curve.

I threw the Michelins on at the end of the day Friday and didn't get any practice in Saturday morning.  We threw tire warmers on before the race; the sighting lap served as my only chance to scuff them.  The first lap and a half or so of the race they were still wiggling around but settled in nicely after that.  It was only a 7 lap sprint race, so there's hardly any wear on them yet.  I've run S2/H2 up there before, and they seem to hold up pretty well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts