Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I had an 850 project bike, but I couldn't resolve a charging issue with it so I sold it on. Shame, it had the makings of a good bike!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, my first TDM850 turned out to be a project. A last second purchase on eBay. Turned out to be a bit of a turd. Got it sorted and really enjoyed it, great in the wet sliding it about all over the shop. Enjoyed it so much I bought a 2008 TDM900.:thumb:

Don't use my Fireblade on the road so much now, mostly doing trackdays on it now, apart from a recent 1200 mile trip to Shetland from Oxford.... Fireblade was fine but I got a tad wet on the way home :crying:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
The TDMs are very underrated, they go well on the road - I know a guy with a 900 and he throws it around the corners as fast as anyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Part of the reason I bought mine was to slow me down on the road. There's been a few too many people locked up for 6 months or so for 'enthusiastic' riding recently.

·
Super Moderator
14,687 Posts
I had a TRX 850 for a while after I crashed my 954. I loved the old girl. I plan to do one as a project streetfighter with a TDM 900 motor when I get rich and famous.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
It's usually really excessive speed or other factors involved which make the offence dangerous driving rather than just speeding, at least that's how it looks to me. These two are the most speed-related that I can find. Others have headlines stating 'Speeding biker jailed' etc etc but when you read the article there are other factors - banned at the time, no licence on insurance, and so on.

Biker jailed for taking teenage son on 122mph ride | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Biker is jailed for speeding at record 157mph is jailed - Crime, UK - The Independent

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll admit I've done 170mph on my Fireblade, a few times I got it flat out, regularly got it up to 150 odd mph but not so much these days. I don't fancy getting banged up for speeding so I've been doing trackdays for the past couple of years. When I'm out on my Fireblade I just can't help myself sometimes. I go out like 'I'm gonna be a good boy' then some dick in a BMW or summat blasts past and I think funk this you're having it sunshine!' and it's red line and gone...... Then I calm down again and get paranoid waiting for a nasty surprise in the post for the next two weeks......

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I don't really ride on the type of roads where you need to be well in to 3 figures to enjoy it - the roads I ride are usually the tight, twisty stuff where there's no room to get in to 3 figures. On these types of roads the TDM is as fast as anything, probably quicker than the Blade as you have much better vision and more compliant suspension.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't really ride on the type of roads where you need to be well in to 3 figures to enjoy it - the roads I ride are usually the tight, twisty stuff where there's no room to get in to 3 figures. On these types of roads the TDM is as fast as anything, probably quicker than the Blade as you have much better vision and more compliant suspension.
Yup, too true. The roads in Oxfordshire are pretty poor and it's much better to use the TDM than the Fireblade. I find it much easier to make 'progress' on back roads with the TDM, on the blade I'm bouncing out the seat and generally pretty uncomfortable.
But on fast A roads, the blade wins hands down. I find I get a lot of buffeting with the TDM, I've even fitted a MRA Vario screen, which has helped a lot but it's still not as good as the Fireblade.... I think it's because on the blade my head is in the wind but on the TDM I'm behind the screen in the turbulent air.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts