Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used these grips on another bike, and really want to get a pair for the tank of my 929. Unfortunately, it looks like time has marched on, and it's a bit hard to find a set for a 10-year old bike.

Does anyone know where I can buy these tank grips for the 929?

The alternative is to buy a generic sheet of the stuff, and cut it to shape myself. I don't really trust myself with scissors or a utility knife. Past experience has shown this is not the way to achieve optimal results.

--- D

·
Registered
102 Posts
im looking for a set too or some stomp grips but looks to be just universal and get the knives out and loose some limbs in the process of shaping them im afraid!lol

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im looking for a set too or some stomp grips but looks to be just universal and get the knives out and loose some limbs in the process of shaping them im afraid!lol
Yup, that's been confirmed by Tech Spec USA. Have to get the standard sheets and cut them myself. I'm not worried about losing limbs. I'm more worried about the "have to cut it a little more to make it look right, a little more, just a little more, there, no wait, that's too much, now I have to cut the other side more to make it look the same!'

Or as my Dad says "I don't understand - I've cut it twice, and it's still too short!"

Tech Spec says I can send them a design and they'll custom-cut a sheet for me. I'll have to think about that.

--- D

·
Registered
102 Posts
keep posted with what you do. Im still battling with my track fairings so will put mine on my track tank as and when i get that far

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm about to take the plunge and buy the standard sheets and get out my blunt-ended scissors.

Before I do, I'll ask the question: What do you folks reckon is the closest fit of the pre-cut Tech Spec kits? Are there other Honda models that have a similar/same shape tank? VFR? How different is the current CBR1000 tank shape vs. the 929?

As you can see, I'm reluctant to try out my arts-and-crafts skills.

--- D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm about to take the plunge and buy the standard sheets and get out my blunt-ended scissors.

Before I do, I'll ask the question: What do you folks reckon is the closest fit of the pre-cut Tech Spec kits? Are there other Honda models that have a similar/same shape tank? VFR? How different is the current CBR1000 tank shape vs. the 929?

As you can see, I'm reluctant to try out my arts-and-crafts skills.

--- D

Duster, sounds like you talked with them already, but might be worth another call - I called about my 954 and you may have noticed they have a "CBR1000" but list the years as 2001-2007 (4th item down on their Honda page). The rep I spoke with told me this was the pre-cut kit to use with the 954, although he did note that the pad will partially cover the tank graphic. Maybe the 929 is different still, but the years listed seem like it should cover your bike as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts