Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Telemarketers are getting slick: I've been getting a rash of calls for a Mr Smith or Mr Jones, and when I tell them that they have the wrong number, they go on their sales pitch on me.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I've noticed a difference since being in the 'do not call' list. If a number comes up out of area I let my ans machine takeover...if someone really needs to speak with me, they'll leave a msg.

This is a nice change, though. :clap:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I've seen a drop in sales calls lately also. But for the few that make it through to me, I act like I'm getting exited about their product, cut them off at about 10 seconds of talking and say in an upbeat and exited voice, "Hey man, could you do me a big favor real quick?"
Of course the caller replies, "sure, anything, what do you need?"
"could you please add my name to your company's No Call List?"
It kinda throws them for a second and usually say, "uh...O.K."
"Thanks. By."

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
HondaGal said:
I've noticed a difference since being in the 'do not call' list. If a number comes up out of area I let my ans machine takeover...if someone really needs to speak with me, they'll leave a msg.

This is a nice change, though. :clap:
I can't believe this actually worked! I had my doubts about the Do Not Call List, but I very rarely ever get a call from them [knocking on wood]. It's great and I thank whoever was responsible for this long overdue request and making it work.

Now to work on those supposed "non-profit" agency telemarketers.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I don't get any, but I also changed my number a little while back. I used to answer the phone and when they asked for me I would say "Yeah, hang on just a minute and I'll go get him." Then I would set the phone down and leave it there until I heard the off the hook beep. Hopefully I was chewing up some of their time. They chew up my time by calling me, I will chew up theirs by letting them sit around waiting for me to return. Time is money.

-Shrub

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm with WetShrub. Except instead of saying, "I'll go get him." I would just say, "That's me" and let them start their routine. Then I'd put the phone down and go do something else and check back after about ten minutes.

I used to really enjoy messing with them but even that gets old after a while. My parents get way more calls than I do. Whenever we're visiting them they'll screen if they see unknown or out of area. But I'd answer just for fun. What kind of ticks me off is when they go out of their way to ask for the lady of the house because they're a softer sell. One guy asked for my mom by name and I asked, "who's calling." He responded with some BS name so I asked him what he was calling about. He just asked if she was home again, and I said that she was home but he wasn't going to talk to her until he told me what he was calling for. He got pissed and hung up. I figure he was either a telemarketer or mom's back door man. :idunno:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts