Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being winter here at the moment when I normally ride into work the temp displays 81 (celsius) whilst moving and climbing when standing still and if long enough upto the fan coming on (~100). But just yesterday going home and againt his morning a few times whilst cruising along (80-90 km/h) it dropped down to 78 or so. This seems too low and was wondering if soemthing might be amiss.

I did a quick check fo the overflow bottle and it was normal so anything else ? Should I check the radiator (under the cap) ?

Magic

·
Registered
857 Posts
Too low? 78c or 172f seems fine to me. If something was wrong your bike would overheat if anything.

Edit: Maybe the temp. sensor is gunked over and not reading the true temp?

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
The thermostat is usually for 168. So 172 sounds about right. if it was stuck open, then it would be much cooler. In a car in very cool weather it would never warm up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was about 10-12 Celsius, so cool.

I must admit I was more worried about it reading wrong and hence allowing the bike to get too hot. Then again I've started to get a few little things go amiss and am seriously considering a trade-in.

It is '02 954 with about 50,000km done (mostly to/from work)

·
Registered
48 Posts
78 is no problem on a 954. Mine does that if it's cold outside. Especially if I've been dawdling along slowly for a while and then I hit some open road again. The temp will normally come back up to around 81 - 83 again after riding reasonably hard for a while or cruising at 6k in 6th gear on the motorway for a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts