Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my unit and I don't know where to start to diagnose. While I was on a trip, suddenly the battery died, so I started to jump start it -> OK

Then after 1 day without problems, I was in a light and when the fan kicked in (at around 103C / 217F) the idle went from 1300rpm to 800/900, the dash started to blink, the revs came to zero and the engine died again (I guess the battery was too bad that the electric system could not keep up)

So I bought a battery and everything seemed ok, but I day after changing the battery when I was in a traffic light, fan kicked in, revs came down again almost dying and temperature started to rise a lot in a few seconds (109C / 228F, never saw that much in 4 years)

Any guesses?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
check the charging circuit - the regulator rectifier on these are know to fail. Also test the stator. It can all be done at home with a volt meter. You'll find loads of stuff on ANY honda forum how to test/fix the charging circuit, its that common an issue!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
check the charging circuit - the regulator rectifier on these are know to fail. Also test the stator. It can all be done at home with a volt meter. You'll find loads of stuff on ANY honda forum how to test/fix the charging circuit, its that common an issue!
Will check that for sure, I have checked and there is a procedure in honda's manual, quite easy. But would this issue explain the overheating? Since the fan actually works

EDIT: today I tried to do it and it wouldn't even start, definetely there is an electrical issue, will check regulator and stator as the manual explains

EDIT2: check the stator and there is continuity between the 3 pins, so I must replace it. I will also replace the regulator, since there are 2 burnt out pins

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone installed the regulator and remembers how he fitted the big connector through?
Electrical wiring Cable Gas Wire Electrical supply

I have routed the wires this way but not a big fan. I've tried everything but cannot get that connector through
Automotive lighting Hood Tire Wheel Automotive tire

1 - 4 of 4 Posts