Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test rode a GSXR 1000 K3 today, and, although I didn't get to test a 954 before/after it - I must say, it is a pretty awesome bike. It does feel a bit larger than a 954, but looking at it next to a 929, it actually wasn't much larger, if at all.

Power was phenominal. IT felt every bit like my 929 once it was fully mapped with the hindle (149.3 rear wheel HP for those that don't know) though, down low, and I'm talking 2000 and below, it felt stronger, pottering around at 2k rpm in third and opening her up results in a huge push forwards. If this is a sign of what is to come, I truly hope that only truly good, or at least sensible riders buy the next lot of litre bikes. I don't even want to think of a noob stepping into a gixxer thou with no previous riding experience, it is WAY too damn much power - I don't care what part of the constitution you quote - from anywhere.

Suspension was firm, comfortable one my short 20 minute ride, though I'm sur eI'd get some work done to it were I to buy one.

Brakes are great. After sampling the 929 brakes - then the 954, I truly thought the 954 brakes were it. The GSXR 1k radial 300mm brakes match the 954's items in every way. Initial bite was great, stopping power was great, and there was plenty of feel. The rears, as seems all too common (I am a heavy user of the rear brake) seems more for decoration than for function, but it does seem to have some sort of affect when applied.

Riding position is, well, sporty - bum up, head down, sportier than my old 929, but not too much more. I still think it is possible to ride in comfort in a freeway trip. Though I thinkt he freeway trip would be merely to get to the racetrack, because, like my 929, the current 954, R1, ZX9 etc - but even more so than these current examples, this bike is above and beyond anything that will ever be needed on the street. If you own this bike, you NEED to go to the track. If you don't, you should be shot. though, I guess that applies to most sports bikes, even in the 600 class these days.

The bike has a steering damper, very nicely placed below the dash, out of site, and, although I did not really even come close to needing it on my test, it is kind of comforting to know it is there, though I would probably end up swapping it for an adjustable item, but it did not seem to hinder low speed maneuvering(sp) - and I do strongly beleive that if you own a bike liek this, you're low speed skills need to be damn good (gotta walk before you run) If any of you people out there can't do a U-turn on your blade within 2 lines marked about 4 -5 metres apart - sell it or learn to ride.

Now, after having said all that, handing in the key, and having a long hard think, and coming to the conclusion that, yes, I feel this IS a better bike than the 954 (if you haven't ridden it, don't argue) - but when the matter came to $$$, I must ask myself - is it $3500 ($2450 US) better? That is the price difference between a gixxer 1k and a 954 here folks.

My answer is.. probably not. that $3500 will cover a full Hindle, PCIII and tune (which will most likely get me about 145rwhp - or close, which is near as dammit to the gixxer1k anyway) a fork job, and most likely an advanced riding course, which would probably knock more off my laptimes at the local track than any other mod - not to mention possibly make me a better and safer rider. And maybe even enough left over for part of a good steering damper...

Now if only they had a fricken blue one in stock...

That's all from me,

Z...

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is getting VERY hard to wait. V E R Y hard.

tempted to get something now and trade in this itme next year.

Z...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Zeeman : It is getting VERY hard to wait. V E R Y hard.

Z...
Z, if you're going to get something and trade it in next year on a new model, I would go used. If you buy a used bike, you will own a bike that has already taken the big depreciation hit, and you will not lose as much next year when you sell it.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
My 929 is for sale right now, I wanted to trade it for the new 1000rr but I think it will be for a 2003 GSX-R 1000.... A dealer over here as one left and is asking 11.700$ CANADIAN! for it, witch is REAL GOOD. LESS then any 954 I could find. It's a grey one, witch I don't really like but tapeworks makes a pretty decent kit for it(Tapeworks gsxr1000). The new 1000rr will be around 14,000$ over here, so I think I'll go with the GSX for next summer and by the Honda in 2005 and get myself a better deal. I just have to sell the 929 now....

·
Registered
303 Posts
It's hard to convince the faithful that the Zuk is a good bike, but it is...but it does have it's flaws. I can let you in on a couple other things to consider:

1) The suspension for me is borderline too stiff up front (I'm about 165/170lb fully suited up). My preload is all the way out and the compression and rebound settings are softish. It's a good track setup, but gets skittish on fast bumps on the street. The rear suspension is perfect for me (set at middle of the road settings)

2) In full tuck, the G1K is uncomfortable for me, but on the track that doesn't really matter. The only time I use full tuck on the street is when it's cold and I'm trying to stay out of the wind....in these cases, the G1K ergos stink. The Blade was much more comfortable (because of the increased seat to clipon distance) in full tuck, but day to day riding on the G1K in normal weather finds me loving the ergos of upright riding. The seat to clipon distance on the G1K seems to be shorter than the blade which makes it more comfortable for me day to day.

3) Turning the G1K at speed on the track is not as easy as the blade. I always felt like I could alter my line mid corner with minimal effort on the blade. The G1K has not (after one trackday) given me that impression. Initial turnin is fast, but getting it keeled over more is more difficult than it was on the blade. This could just be a familiarity thing on my part

4) The mechanical layout of the G1K is awesome. The fasteners are better than Honda's infuriating strippable plasti-screws and the whole thing seems to be made with user maintenance in mind.

5) Bye Bye trunkspace....you can barely fit a pack of smokes in the trunk and if you do, the barrier to keep them out of the battery compartment is inadequate at best....plan on getting a backpack if normally carried anything in the blade's trunk.

All in all, I really like my G1K, but I have had thoughts of selling it here recently. I know people say this year after year when the HP numbers go up, but where does it stop? How much is enough? I personally feel the G1K is overkill for the street....WAY overkill. It's so easy to go fast and not even realize it. I consider myself a sensible rider on the street and this thing just BEGS you to let it run. I liken it to owning a greyhound dog and only owning a 6' x 6' back yard. What's the point?

The good news, if you do buy an '03 (I would think they would be dropping the prices on the 03 if the '04's are due out soon) is that basically, everyone else has caught up to the '03 G1K. Suzuki hasn't made any changes for the '04, and the Honda, Kwak, and Yammy '04 liter contenders are all going to land somewhere a little in front of, or a little behind the '03 G1K. So, performance wise, you won't really be taking a hit. If you could pick up an '03 cheap because the dealer wants to move it...go for it.

The only 'problem' I've had with mine so far is a squeeky SET (like Honda's HTEV) Valve on the exhaust. When you initially turn the key to the 'On' position you can hear the SET sqeeeeeeeek forward and squeeeeeek backwards as it goes through it's initialization routine. Doesn't really affect anything, just annoying.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I usually change bike every year, bought my 1998 in 1999, my 1999 in 2000..... Bought my 2001 929 in 2002, did not change it last year cause I did not think the 954 was worth the extra $$$ over the 929. Still the same thing this year. If I want to bye a 2003 to change my 929 and want some change the GSX seem the way to go for me. As for annoying things, I HATE that freaking rattle sound at 5000K on my 929, but that's about it!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Forgot to mention my experience with the front brakes. To me, they sucked right off the showroom floor....a very wooden feeling. They've gotten better over time, but still nowhere near as good as the blade with SS lines and good fluid. Not really a fair comparison, but the next thing I will do to the G1K is to replace the stock lines with SS and swap fluid. I'm hoping that will put the braking power and feel somewhere near the 929's but I'm not holding my breath. I like the rear brake on the G1K better than the 929's which I barely used because I couldnt' tell it was doing anything.

And if you thought keeping the frontend down on a blade was hard, it's really difficult on the G1K. The only trackday I've done on the G1K found me crawling up on the tank to keep the frontend planted on mid corner accelleration.

I'll also go down to a 180 rear once the stock 190 gets used up....I'm hoping that will help make mid corner corrections easier.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
How is your front sag?

Raise the rear ride height on your G1K, it will turn easier.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm not sure of the exact number on the front sag, but I had a 'suspension guy' help me at the last trackday. He did all the measurements and I did notice an improvement in flickability after he was done...the bike was more balanced. I've heard many people dropping the forks in the triples by about 5mm or so, but I didn't want to risk stability since the G1K is my daily driver.

Like I say, the initial turn in seems very easy...maybe easier than the blade...but really getting it keeled over on the gas requires alot of input into the clipons. Of course, it could also be that I'm keeled over as much as I was on the blade, but with the extra clearance I have on the G1K, I don't 'feel' as keeled over because I'm not dragging parts. Another part of me says that it could be the tires since I'm used to the 207's profile on the blade, but now I'm on 012's with the G1K.

So, basically I think it could be a variety or combination of things. As a result, I didn't want to do anything too drastic like dropping the triples or raising the rear without factoring the other variables out first....live and learn. I'm just really chomping at the bit to get the thing back onto the track and sort some of this out.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Zeeman : It is getting VERY hard to wait. V E R Y hard.

Z...
Remember, I was the lone member who suggested you buy an '03 Gixxer1000 now. It would be an exciting bike and I can't image the '04 crop of bikes being that much better, if they are even better at all.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
ER : Remember, I was the lone member who suggested you buy an '03 Gixxer1000 now.  It would be an exciting bike and I can't image the '04 crop of bikes being that much better, if they are even better at all.
What's wrong with you, you PETA Vegan?
Haven't you seen the pictures and read Yamaha's claims on the '04 R1?
Why buy any other bike?
I bet if we were to send a few of these magic machines over to Israel, there would be everlasting peace immediately.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
BDA116 : Quote (ER @ Oct. 27 2003, 11:13am)Remember, I was the lone member who suggested you buy an '03 Gixxer1000 now.  It would be an exciting bike and I can't image the '04 crop of bikes being that much better, if they are even better at all.
What's wrong with you, you PETA Vegan?
Haven't you seen the pictures and read Yamaha's claims on the '04 R1?
Why buy any other bike?
I bet if we were to send a few of these magic machines over to Israel, there would be everlasting peace immediately.
PETA Vegan? <Reading this while finishing up my extra-beef and chicken fajitas>

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cyber929 - which model of GSXR1000 do you have? 01/02 or an 03? form what I hear, the 03, in terms of handling, is marked improvement over the k1 and k2 models. I swear it felt very very close to my 929 in terms of flickability - it did feel a touch larger, but only a touch. I didn't get the chance to try change of line in mid corner type turns, wasn't possible thanks to traffic and time limit, but what I did feel on the ride wa spositive.

ER - yes, I do remember - and that is why I test rode it. It's just the small matter of whether it's $3500au ($2450US) better than a 954...

Z...

·
Registered
303 Posts
It's the '03....and I've heard the same thing about it being a big improvement over the 01/02.  That's probably true...but the blade has always been known as being an incredibly flickable bike....to the point of being skittish.  So, it's probably just me being used to that level of mid corner adjustability.

Of course, I've only had it on the track once where the 929 I had on the track about 10 times....so there's that to.

Don't get me wrong, the 1K is an incredible bike....no doubt.  The amount of power on tap anywhere in the rev range is unbelievable and it's wrapped in a very comfortable (for me) day to day package.  There are just a few things that needed to get sorted out before I really feel it's the best all around bike for me.  First and foremost is familiarity...it's just a significantly different beast, and that's only going to be remedied with saddle time.  Other than that ,the most tangible thing I would change would be the front brakes. Other than that, I feel like it's money well spent.  Would I have bought it if it were $2.5k more than a 954 or 929?  I doubt it.  But if your in the market for a bike I don't see how you could really go wrong with an '03 G1K in both performance and resale value.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
jetbdude : It's a grey one, witch I don't really like ...
Yeah, but the used bike sale is a given - Chain the 'monochromatic'

Seriously though, I bleed red but I would love to test ride the new R1 - but never, ever buy it . Then again, I would love to test ride the Gixxer also. OMG, blasphemy...

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cyber929 - I guess the fact tha I'm currently accustomed to riding 2 up on a lowered CBR600 makes it hard to remember back a year when I rode a 954 (same 20 minute ride at the same shop) and not to mention, about 11 months since riding my own 929, so not having the immediate reference makes it hard in terms of brakes/handling etc - though the power is obvious 1 minute later or 1 year later.

I think I may just put my money on a blue 954, do some mods and then see how everything else goes. If the 04 models are that much better, then this time next year will be a great time to buy. And seeing as the 954 is so cheap brand new, I don't think I'll lose much more than $1k over the next year. Will see what the accountant says.

To give oyu an idea of how cheap 14990 is for a 954 over here, there are still people trying to sell 2nd hand examples with as much as 10000km on the clock for $16000.

Z...

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Yeaaaaaa Zeeman! I am proud of ya! Buy the 954 - I don't think you'll be disappointed. And you're right - wait a year and see how the 1K bikes pan out. Good financial move, IMO!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Given the anecdotal reports that the new liter bikes like the gixxer 1K are over the top for everyday street riding, I would think the new GSX-R 750 would be a more appropriate choice if you're leaning towards a Suzuki. I love Honda's (esp. my 954) but am glad Suzuki is still manufacturing AND developing the 750 sport bike class. I tend to believe that the 750's will be the new liter bikes of tomorrow given the ever increasing performance all the manufacturers are wringing out of these motors.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts