Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've worn both JR and First Gear jackets that were textile but I never felt quite as safe in them so they just kinda hang up in the closet now. Just a personal thing though because they are a whole lot better than a t shirt.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
By textile jacket do you mean the mesh type ones? or one of the solid fabric coats? I have one of the joe rocket balistic mesh types and I love it to death,. works great, fits well, is nice and breathable and looks okay too. Plus one of my buddies crash tested one and it held up great :thumb: which was a real suprise to me, I figured that they would blow apart pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I've had 2 Joe Rocket Ballistics, and my wife has a Teknic and they're all good. No issues except that my first JR jacket only lasted 5 years and about 80,000 Kms. :p

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I read about one guy who wasn't so lucky with the jacket he was giving warnings to others as to not feel safe in that jacket :idunno: it went into pieces when he fell
Northern RR said:
By textile jacket do you mean the mesh type ones? or one of the solid fabric coats? I have one of the joe rocket balistic mesh types and I love it to death,. works great, fits well, is nice and breathable and looks okay too. Plus one of my buddies crash tested one and it held up great :thumb: which was a real suprise to me, I figured that they would blow apart pretty quick.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I have a JR Phoenix never tested ;) When weather permits I prefer and wear leather (better protection) however at 95+ I would quickly get dehydrated in my leather (or heat stroke).

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
l'timbré said:
I read about one guy who wasn't so lucky with the jacket he was giving warnings to others as to not feel safe in that jacket :idunno: it went into pieces when he fell
I'd say it depends mostly on speed. Obviously if your doing 30 or 40 KMs & dump it to avoid something, there's gonna be alot less damage than if you're doing 120 on a highway.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I've crashed in a JR Meteor II jacket and it did its job very well. Only cuts and bruisies I got were on my legs (which were (un)protected by jeans.) I've now sold that coat to a friend as it is still n good shape. I'm now using a JR Alter Ego coat... it's a very cool design which turns into a mesh for really hot days.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I too have the Alter Ego by Joe Rocket. It is a wonderful piece of clothing. I usually only wear it when I ride to work and back (1.5 miles) but when it is cold in the morning and hot in the afternoon, this jacket goes from a full on textile jacket to a mesh jacket in about 15 sec. I have never crash tested it but it does have decent armor.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
lkcty99prf said:
Anyone have any luck with a good textile jacket like - joe rocket-icon-agv-or any other kind ?? :idunno:
I'm a fan of Tour Master stuff. My normal, everday riding jacket is a Cortech Sport from that company. It doesn't vent all that well, but would appear very durable, has removable armor, a waterproof membrane liner, and reflective 3M patches to help make me more conspicuous at night.

I wear JR Meteor 4.0 riding britches as well, at least on days I can stand them. Hot as hell, but waterproofed with reflective piping and rain proof pocket on the front. Easy to get into and out of as well. Great for trips.

Another good company to get top quality textile gear from is Aerostich.

I also own a JR Phoenix jacket for those truly beastly summer days when it's hot with high humidity. Probably won't protect me as well as my TM jacket unless it's a fairly low speed get-off. That said, I really don't want to get into another war over mesh riding gear. We have beaten that horse a time or two.

:deadhors:

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3485

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Chain said:
I wear JR Meteor 4.0 riding britches as well, at least on days I can stand them. Hot as hell, but waterproofed with reflective piping and rain proof pocket on the front. Easy to get into and out of as well. Great for trips.
:wstupid:

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
pdoyle64 said:
You've got something against Suzukis? :idunno:
Ahh no but most members frown upon "stunting" pics just read the site rules:

1-7 :blahblah:
8 We have zero tolerance for "stunters" or anyone else who gives motorcyclists a bad image. Don't post material which could be reasonably construed as celebrating or defending the stunting culture. Don't ask how to do wheelies or stoppies either. News stories, videos, and photos discussing the stunting movement and the negative impact it has on our sport are permissible, however.

·
Registered
172 Posts
MrX954 said:
Ahh no but most members frown upon "stunting" pics just read the site rules:

1-7 :blahblah:
8 We have zero tolerance for "stunters" or anyone else who gives motorcyclists a bad image. Don't post material which could be reasonably construed as celebrating or defending the stunting culture. Don't ask how to do wheelies or stoppies either. News stories, videos, and photos discussing the stunting movement and the negative impact it has on our sport are permissible, however.
Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up guys. :thumb:

The cans on the SV were Sudco carbon fiber. After a little research I found they were made by Hindle. Sounded great!

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
pdoyle64 said:
Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up guys. :thumb:

The cans on the SV were Sudco carbon fiber. After a little research I found they were made by Hindle. Sounded great!
LOL @ the photo edit above. You're a good sport. :clap:

I sooooo badly want a Roadcrafter. That will be the next bike related purchase I make.

I've heard of Sudco, but know little of them. I bought and tricked out a naked '01 SV650 and had alot of fun with it. A twin on exhaust, nothing sounds better in the two-wheeled world IMO. I'll bet that thousand of yours sounds fantastic with those carby cans.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I have the Icon TiMax mesh. Works great all the way down to 32 degrees. Was just pushing it on the autobahn today at 190km at 40 degrees and was not cold at all. The zip out fleece liner works great on the torso area. If the liner had full sleeves, I'd wear it all year round.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts