Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:patriot: If you see one, shake his or her hand and tell them thanks for their service. I do this every chance I get, and everyone of them has genuinely appreciated it. My 11 year-old son, wanting to "be like Dad" has taken to doing the same thing...only thing is, I gotta throttle him a bit 'cuz he keeps interrupting them while they're eating in restaurants. :crap: :D

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Pete said:
:patriot: If you see one, shake his or her hand and tell them thanks for their service. I do this every chance I get, and everyone of them has genuinely appreciated it. My 11 year-old son, wanting to "be like Dad" has taken to doing the same thing...only thing is, I gotta throttle him a bit 'cuz he keeps interrupting them while they're eating in restaurants. :crap: :D
That's OK. My nephew is between tours in Baghdad and doesn't mind when someone interrupts him to say "Thanks!". Tell him to keep up the good work :thumb:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
It's a given that I thank a Soldier. My entire family has been Military in some form of another for as long as I can remember. I'm the loner in that I didn't join the Marines.

Those guys and gals sacrifice a lot in more ways than most know.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
More than sure that any current service member or vet won't mind thier meal being interrupted by a youngin' or anyone else thankin' them for their service. Having a young person do it says a lot about their character and their parents' character. :thumb:

:patriot:

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
matty_998cc said:
If there are any U.S. soldiers reading this thread right now, THANK YOU. :patriot:
WTF about us Sailors and Marines???????:idunno:

We will leave the AF out of this for now. :evilaugh:

Make an honorable mention for the puddle pirates as well.....:patriot:

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Pete said:
Don't throttle him back. I don't see that as an interruption.

I don't know how others feel, but those few interruptions are my reminders that I'm doing the right thing. The President and politicians can grandstand in front of formations all day long, but I'll always remember the six year old boy named Tyler who spilled mustard on my brand new ACUs at lunch saying thank you.

Granted I can't afford to have mustard spilled on me everyday, but I also can't remember what President Bush's speech was about earlier today.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mojave954 said:
WTF about us Sailors and Marines???????:idunno:

We will leave the AF out of this for now. :evilaugh:

Make an honorable mention for the puddle pirates as well.....:patriot:
:O Correction: Any men or women serving in ANY branch of the U.S. military.:patriot: THANK YOU!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Mojave954 said:
More than sure that any current service member or vet won't mind thier meal being interrupted by a youngin' or anyone else thankin' them for their service. Having a young person do it says a lot about their character and their parents' character. :thumb:
:patriot:
Back in 2003 I finally made it back to the states and got to go home for about 16 hours, after flying almost a month of 22+ hour days.

I was still in my flight suit and stopped at the store on the way home to pick some flowers up for my wife. On the way in, a woman thanked me in the parking lot. I was exhuasted, but I still remember exactly what she looked like and what she said. I promised to pass it on to the guys who have to stay over there. It goes a lot farther than many people realize. Keep it up, let him interrupt. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mojave954 said:
WTF about us Sailors and Marines??????
Personally, I refer to anyone serving in our military as a soldier. I guess by your comments that that is not appropriate? :huh:

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
seamus said:
Don't throttle him back. I don't see that as an interruption.
Well, I have to teach him manners at the same time, right? ;) I just have him wait until they're done eating (which also leads to me telling him to quit staring as he watches intently for his opportunity). It's a never-ending cycle of teaching...LOL!

And thank YOU for your service! :thumb: :patriot: :thumb: :patriot:

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DUX said:
Back in 2003 I finally made it back to the states and got to go home for about 16 hours, after flying almost a month of 22+ hour days.

I was still in my flight suit and stopped at the store on the way home to pick some flowers up for my wife. On the way in, a woman thanked me in the parking lot. I was exhuasted, but I still remember exactly what she looked like and what she said. I promised to pass it on to the guys who have to stay over there. It goes a lot farther than many people realize. Keep it up, let him interrupt. :thumb:
:D :thumb: :patriot:

Thank you, DUX.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Pete said:
Personally, I refer to anyone serving in our military as a soldier. I guess by your comments that that is not appropriate? :huh:
Marines and Sailors are a bit sensitive to that - I know Travis is! A lot of that inter-service rivalry at work. Whenever I've mentioned that the Marines and Navy are really part of the same group, he says that the Navy is just the Marines' taxi service! :D

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Travis (our Marine son) has told me of several occasions when he's in an airport or something, not even necessarily in uniform, and someone will see him pull out his wallet to pay for something, and insist that he put his money away. They pay for his meal or drink or whatever, and thank him for his service. That's really cool.

Whenever I hear of someone that is in the service, or even was in the service many years ago, I thank them for it. Whether they're a war veteran or not, they have been there for us, doing what most of us have not. I am forever grateful to all of them. :patriot:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts