Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we all remember when the Dixie Chicks were huge, but then Natalie Maines said "Just so you know, We're ashamed President Bush is from Texas".

Boy did that change their career. With that one statement.

So, they made a film about it, with a film crew following them for the last 3 years. Here is the trailer.

YouTube - Dixie Chicks Shut up and Sing Trailer=

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
:rotfl: funny that they can complain and if it impacts someone else (the president) it is OK however when they suffer for their statement it is not. Personally I don't listen to pop-country music but I do despise these famous clods that go to a foriegn country and dog the US. If she truly meant it say it at a Texas concert first ;) Air your disagreement in a foreign land is like ripping family at the neighbors (shouldn't be done)

·
Registered
14 Posts
In an interview with thier manager about the film he said that they have the right, freedom of speach, to say what they want. He then went on to say that it was wrong for people to hold it against them for speaking as they want. When asked about the people's rights to not pay to listen to them he responded by saying that politics doesn't have a place in the arts...

Go figure.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Yep they DO have a right. However don't I have a right to respond :confused:

As for anyone that threatened them with harm I hope they are caught and prosecuted to the extent the law allows.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I never did understand this event as it occured. So they didn't like Pres Bush and made it known. How can Americans be so upset? Do they feel more patriotic by burning & crushing CDs? They attacked a man, not the office. I am always scared at how ignorant we can get sometimes and how easily we can be blinded by anger.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
It seems as though they thought negative publicity would be just as good, if not better for them than positive publicity. Think about it; If something gets to people's emotions then they will usually go and investigate. More is learned and you just got free advertisement.

When they had the little fallout with Toby Keith that was a great thing in their eyes. Why not try and hit someone big?

Their crap backfired. Now, how can we get the rest of Country music to backfire???

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
My feeling when OUR country is at war either your with US or against us..The bitch made a career decision when she opened her damn mouth and it was the wrong 1 I have no pitty for any of them. I may not agree with the way things are being handled but he is the Commander and Chief... That's just my:twocents:....:patriot:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
My feeling when OUR country is at war either your with US or against us..The bitch made a career decision when she opened her damn mouth and it was the wrong 1 I have no pitty for any of them. I may not agree with the way things are being handled but he is the Commander and Chief... That's just my:twocents:....:patriot:
Put you two cents away and understand that the United States is not at War with anybody or anything. Look up what it takes to officially be at war.
As for the Dixie chicks. They can say what they want and I am sure after the backlash they got for saying it they were probably ashamed of a large number of their fellow Americans.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Put you two cents away and understand that the United States is not at War with anybody or anything. Look up what it takes to officially be at war.
As for the Dixie chicks. They can say what they want and I am sure after the backlash they got for saying it they were probably ashamed of a large number of their fellow Americans.
But they love you Jaim ;)

Most people are ashamed of some Americans as we don't all agree (nor have to). However if you make your living by something and make your customers mad do not be suprised when business gets bad. Despite what some think you are always responsible for your actions. When you act there is consequences, good and bad.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I was ashamed that they'd make such a statement in that forum.

The beauty of the whole situation is that I can chose not to buy any of their music. Many other people have "voiced" their displeasure as well by not giving them any more money.

They have a right to speak, but they need to shut-up about losing the fans/supporters that they offend.

......................not that I was ever a fan anyway! :nono:

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
True dat dux, just exercise my right not to listen to them. The country station out here won't play them and when they come to town, they don't go nor grant them interviews. Thier right to refuse. If this movie is indeed true, they will wank that it was political that people didn't come and they lost more money on the effort.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I never did understand this event as it occured. So they didn't like Pres Bush and made it known. How can Americans be so upset? Do they feel more patriotic by burning & crushing CDs? They attacked a man, not the office. I am always scared at how ignorant we can get sometimes and how easily we can be blinded by anger.
Simple, their fans disagreed with them and were offended. So they moved on.

They do have the freedom of speech. And so do their fans.

I've always thought it really funny these chicks were upset about the reaction. Hey, in a democracy, people have a right to listen to other music, and they chose to. Your demographic didn't want to hear your bullshit.

My GF likes them, I don't know how in the hell anyone considers that shrill shit music...no matter what they think about Bush.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I can't seem to find it, but maybe one of our Aussie friends will help me.

There is an Aussie pop singer who has been visiting their troops and vocally supporting them.

She has come under sharp criticism for this apparently, similar to the Dixie Chicks, but like opposite. :smilebig:

I can't find it, but instead of the miserable whiny response of the Chicks, she made a great song to those fans who were complaining.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Jaim, why do you continuously run around the board doing causing conflict? I think you are just as attention deprived as the "Chicks" are. Everytime I see you make a post it is nothing more than an argument. In fact, I will guarantee that I just started a bigger argument by confronting you about the matter.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
But they love you Jaim ;)

Most people are ashamed of some Americans as we don't all agree (nor have to). However if you make your living by something and make your customers mad do not be suprised when business gets bad. Despite what some think you are always responsible for your actions. When you act there is consequences, good and bad.
:plus1: VERY well put!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I was ashamed that they'd make such a statement in that forum.

The beauty of the whole situation is that I can chose not to buy any of their music. Many other people have "voiced" their displeasure as well by not giving them any more money.

They have a right to speak, but they need to shut-up about losing the fans/supporters that they offend.

......................not that I was ever a fan anyway! :nono:
:plus1: , Though I do like some of their stuff.
To bad talent doesn't=common sense or good judgment!

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
<Shrug> They can, and they did. No government agents prosecuted them for it right?

Their fans have the right to listen to whatever they choose.

Their manager's silly comments demonstrate either/both:

1) A fundamental lack of understanding regarding what the First Amendment means
2) Rich "entitlement" mentality

I respect the person that no longer listens to them for a political reason more than the fan that listens to them because they think they're cute and don't care what they say.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, I hadn't read any of the responses to this thread until now...

The take I got from it wasn't that they were pissed that people wouldn't buy their CDs, it's that people were ready to kill them over it.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts