Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I do think that some of the bike specific maintenance tasks we perform might be excessive or outdated due to newer technology. Lubing a chain might one of them since the invention of the o-ring. The grease is inside the o-ring seal. However, you are cleaning the chain which is good for the sprockets and lubing the roller pins but it doesn't significantly accelerate wear to neglect it once in awhile.

My last chain I removed simply because I wanted to go back to the stock size chain and sprocket teeth.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,856 Posts
I do think that some of the bike specific maintenance tasks we perform might be excessive or outdated due to newer technology. Lubing a chain might one of them since the invention of the o-ring. The grease is inside the o-ring seal. However, you are cleaning the chain which is good for the sprockets and lubing the roller pins but it doesn't significantly accelerate wear to neglect it once in awhile.

My last chain I removed simply because I wanted to go back to the stock size chain and sprocket teeth.
^^True

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
The lube acts as a lubricant and protector for the o-rings though. So while the grease is inside that is for the chains pins/links, you still need to protect the outside of the o-rings themselves from the outside elements. That s why you don't need to load a chain up with a thorough coat of lube and have it then flung all over the place.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
am I the only one who just rides through the "rainbowy" puddles in the grocery store parking lots to lubricate my chain... :idunno: anyone...? Bueller...? :hmm:
Taste the rainbow!

No YouTube clip for that, but feel free to put that into YouTube and see some interesting clips.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts