Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I just surpassed 30k miles on my '02 954 and I plan on another 30k more. So far I am going to check valves, replace all wheel bearings dust seals etc, rebuild forks, and probably order a new cush drive I already have a new cct that needs to go in as well as spark plugs. Is there anything else that you can think of for me to service and check? I know 30,000 miles is not all too uncommon but id like to give it the best chance to double that number if the Michigan roads don't end up cracking my frame first! My buddies think that my bike is about done for with this kind of mileage but I think otherwise! Thanks, all comments are appreciated.

Oh and some things ive been noticing along the way of racking up miles... Valves get noticable louder after visiting high rpm, and I swear there is a lot more vibration coming through the grips and pegs than I remember. But that also could be because I just rode my brothers 2020 mt-09 and there was no vibrations whatsoever, it was very odd. On one of my recent rides, it fell into neutral like 10 times going from first to second but I think I must have been getting lazy on my shifts because it has not happened since.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Whilst I am a purveyor of 'low mileage' bikes, I will qualify by saying that 30,000 is not high mileage per se.

As I often comment, if we found for sale a 2002 car with 'only' 30,000 miles, we'd snap it up!! Granted, our bikes rev higher and might have a harder life than some cars, but there are also the 30,000-mile gems that have not even seen rain.

My strategy, as I've adopted with a 33,000 mile 929 I 'found', is to change all filters and fluids, and give the bike an all over check. It might not even need fork seals and bearing, but if you're keen on restoring to an 'as new' state, such replacements, along with the rear shock refurbishment/replacement as suggested by @machinehead would be worthy and rewarding tasks.

Depending upon your bike's history, there is no way known that it is just about 'done for'.(y)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a 919 with 48k on the clock, it has had a pretty hard life but the engine runs spot on. I have done or am in the process of doing rear shock, fork springs, bushes and seals, wheel and shock linkage bearings, throttle, clutch and brake cables, rebuilding rear brake master cylinder and all 3 callipers, cleaning the carbs, new rad, filters and fluids throughout. I’m aiming for 100k then she can “retire” 🤣

1 - 5 of 5 Posts