Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Warbird Racing that is! This Sunday.

Just got finished puting on my new to me Ohlins Triple and new Dunlop 208gp's.

Now, I just need to get to the track early enough to get some real practice and tuning in before the flag drops.

I'm #2 in points for two classes. 600 Superbike and Unlimited Superbike. Here's a link:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Good luck and have fun doing it. :thumb:

About your tires....I do have a special person looking for me :smilebig: but was just wondering where you buy your Dunlop 208gp? Mine are about done so I need another pair.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck and have fun doing it. :thumb:

About your tires....I do have a special person looking for me :smilebig: but was just wondering where you buy your Dunlop 208gp? Mine are about done so I need another pair.
Got 'em second hand from a WERA guy. Don't think they make the 208's anymore. You might have to go to the 209's or next year the NT.

HD

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Abtech posted a link recently for getting tires directly from Dunlop. Do a search thay had 208gp on their site if I remember right.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Good luck to you and mediocre luck to the fellow ahead of you in points :thumb:

Any Tucker Rocky dealer should still have Dunlop 208GP tires in stock. When I looked at the Dunlop site it does not appear they plan on discontinuing them. If you are looking to upgrade to a 209 they are also called SportMax GP (not at all obvious)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Got 'em second hand from a WERA guy. Don't think they make the 208's anymore. You might have to go to the 209's or next year the NT.

HD
Abtech posted a link recently for getting tires directly from Dunlop. Do a search thay had 208gp on their site if I remember right.
Good luck to you and mediocre luck to the fellow ahead of you in points :thumb:

Any Tucker Rocky dealer should still have Dunlop 208GP tires in stock. When I looked at the Dunlop site it does not appear they plan on discontinuing them. If you are looking to upgrade to a 209 they are also called SportMax GP (not at all obvious)
Thanks all for the info..... just want the best price. Now, where's my pit B so he can help me. :rotfl: J/K

HD.... Best of luck, really, I envy you

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man we had an awsome day! The weather was amazing for October! I had some trouble getting the new Ohlins shock tuned in the beginning. First session the bike felt like the back end was on glass; like all the weight was on the front wheel. We tried to set the sag as best we could and got w/in 5-10 mm but I've got the preload all the way out on a spring for a rider 15 lbs lighter than me. So I'm not sure what's up w/ that. I suspect that there was an error in our methods. Regardless, after a few tweaks of comprssion and rebound the back end felt planted but now the front was like a pogo stick. Remove some rebound and all was right w/ the world.

Race one: Unlimited Superbike. I was second in points, but got my but kicked in the race. I'm turning consistent 1:18's so I'm pretty happy and my confidence is improving. I know where on the track I can make time, and I'm confident that I can do it. I'm probably 3rd in the championship points now. Not sure yet.

Race two: GT1. This is a throw away race for me. I use it for track time. I turn good laps; many 1:17's. I'm feeling good.

Race Three: Superbike 600. I'm second in points w/ the guy in thrid hot on my heels. He's also been turning 1:15's w/ an occasional 1:14. So in the past he's had 3-4 seconds a lap on me. The only reason I'm in 2nd and he's in 3rd is b/c he missed 2 races to my 1. If I can keep him in sight I might have something for him, or at least minimize the damage. He's gridded in 2nd, I'm in 6th...but I get good starts...

Green flag drops and I get out of the gate well, but when I shift to 2nd the bike goes to neutral. I lose time. I shift to 2nd, but I'm now not going fast enough and the bike bogs. I lose time. I down shift to 1rst, and lose time. My race buddy Jim and a new racer (orange shirt) get by me. Jim and I follow this new guy for two laps trying to get by while the rest of the pack checks out. Damn! Jim finally gets by going into T4, and I pass on the outside of 12 on the same lap. I'm now trying to catch Jim. I see 1:16:7, 1:16:5, 1:16:2 and think "Let's see if we can get in the 1:15's".

Next lap 1:16:7 "well that's not what we wanted..." and I really focus on hitting my marks and breaking a little bit less, getting on the gas earlier.

1:15:9

"WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!" inside the helmet.

I'm still trying to catch Jim and I'm holding the gap steady. Aparently I was doing the same w/ the guy I wanted to race with. He's just many positions and about half the track ahead. So my race is done. I cruise home from there. Jim and I take 5th and 6th. I lose 2nd in the championship.

So in all it was a successful season. I managed to balance my schooling, work, marathon training, a wife (albeit a supportive one), and this crazy racing thing. I only had 1 small lowside. The bike is better, and I am better. No injuries. No drama. Mucho fun. And in the end if I get 3rd in championship points in 2 different classes, that's more than I probably deserve so I'm not going to complain.

Can't wait until next season!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Way to go HD. what an accomplishment :thumb:

Sorry for not making it.... Stayed home with the kids since I'll be gone to do some track this weekend.

Congrats on a well deserve year.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts