Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there all. As its now getting closer (ish) to a better outside experience due to the British weather I'm starting to look in to some of the work I need to get done on my 98 blade before riding season.

Still have to get my viffer front wheel skimmed so that it'll fit (17 inch conversion). Still looking for an engineer that can skim a wheel in the Northwest though.

Main issues though, as it seems replacement will definitely be out of my budget, could anyone recommend a suspension shop that would be able to return my rear shock? And any clue on price?

Also lastly, after my head head gasket blew last summer and having to replace it I started to get an early throttle lag and bogging. Finally got around to trying to figure it out and a mechanic friend of mine suggested it could be the timing chain could be off by one tooth. That a possibility?

Sorry for the plentiful questions....

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sorry, new term to me. What is "skimming" a wheel? And, what is "returning" a shock?

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,118 Posts
Sorry, new term to me. What is "skimming" a wheel? And, what is "returning" a shock?
For what he wants to do I think by skimming he means taking material off the mating surface of the hub where the rotors bolt on to get the correct off set so the rotors line up with the calipers. And as far as the returning rear shock, I think that's a typo for re-tuning. IMHO

·
Registered
171 Posts
Try KAIS at atherton for your suspension service. They did some work on a rear shock for me £100 for a rebuild but this was a good while ago so can't comment on cost now

·
Registered
931 Posts
I second Kias. The 'blades rear shock is not rebuildable as is. They strip it all out and put their own nitrogen balloon in that is then easily rechargable. Cost £130 for mine about five years ago.
As to the wheel. Finding any engineering shops is difficult (and Manchester was the home of the Industrial Revolution). Finding one with a lathe with centers large enough to turn the wheel hub is impossible. I had a friend do mine by using a router rather than a lathe. Unfortunately he has suffered a stroke so has had to hang up his overalls. But that might be an option worth pursuing.
Can't give you any info on the timing question, if I suspected miss-timing I would just whip the cambox cover off and have a look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts