Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story goes like this. At cold startup for about 2 seconds noises from the clutch (not always, for example, after a long ride, the day after no sound, none what so ever) .. I've read everything clutch base related problems and despite the fact that are many topics on the subject, nobody has come with an answer. If you got the end of it please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
The story goes like this. At cold startup for about 2 seconds noises from the clutch (not always, for example, after a long ride, the day after no sound, none what so ever) .. I've read everything clutch base related problems and despite the fact that are many topics on the subject, nobody has come with an answer. If you got the end of it please let me know.

Do you actually have any clutch problems?
Does the noise stop when you pull the clutch lever?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Do you actually have any clutch problems?
Does the noise stop when you pull the clutch lever?
No, the clutch works just perfect and yes the noise stops when i pull the clutch lever.

It's like the clutch basket engages something that shouldn't. I'm not realy sure if it's something about the rest position, or wear on those spacers ..........maybe to much side play because of the clutch basket bearing. Whatever would it be it's almost a general problem with 929

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
No, the clutch works just perfect and yes the noise stops when i pull the clutch lever.

Then it's just the damper springs getting loose, nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
What kind of noise are you hearing? Was there a point that the noise began, such as after you changed the plates? Also, you said the day after no noise on long rides, how about three four days after a long ride, any noise?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Then it's just the damper springs getting loose, nothing to worry about.
You know, i was also thinking about that, sometimes on quik revs at neutral i hear those plates more than i would like.

What kind of noise are you hearing? Was there a point that the noise began, such as after you changed the plates? Also, you said the day after no noise on long rides, how about three four days after a long ride, any noise?
sounds like a general mess with lots of plates involved:p..........are you thinking about fuel preasure....oil leaking back into the pan ?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
So, i tried starting the bike with the clutch lever pulled....all quiet!

Do you mean the noise is completely gone after starting with the clutch lever pulled in, it doesn't come back after cycling the lever?
Was it in gear?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes the sound is completely gone and it doesn't come back after. I even made some tricks today to be sure the clutch is ok, like some brutal acceleration etc. It's more than ok and by that i mean almost to the "takeoff" point. No it wasn't in gear.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Yes the sound is completely gone and it doesn't come back after

It's gone completely now?
Even starting without the clutch?

Perhaps it's a broken plate then, maybe that initial centrifugal spin was throwing it outwards, but engaging the clutch was locking it in place?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Any new ideeas?

A worn bearing, impropper tension in the clutch cable, loosen primary nut, wich one is it?

Now you can hear plates knocking even after i start the engine but just until it worms up
Everybody says it's a honda and in particular a 929 thing but i've seen 0 answers so far.
Why, the question is why?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Any new ideeas?

A worn bearing, impropper tension in the clutch cable, loosen primary nut, wich one is it?

Now you can hear plates knocking even after i start the engine but just until it worms up
Everybody says it's a honda and in particular a 929 thing but i've seen 0 answers so far.
Why, the question is why?

If you believe you can hear "plates knocking" pull the clutch and make sure none of the plates are broken.
Frankly, it just sounds like the damper springs to me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll do that Bladeracer but in lack of time would sure help some feedback on the matter in hand before i start, being such a large scale honda issue.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I'll do that Bladeracer but in lack of time would sure help some feedback on the matter in hand before i start, being such a large scale honda issue.

What do you mean by a "large scale Honda issue"?
I'm not aware of any issue with the clutches, although the original 929 did have a recall for exploding clutch baskets.
Otherwise, I'm not aware of any inherent problem with the clutch.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Noisy clutch issues, the clutch bearing issue etc, well known on this part of the plannet.

This is not my bike but the knocks are exactly the same, just the ones between 0.21-0.23

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Noisy clutch issues, the clutch bearing issue etc, well known on this part of the plannet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfwffM7IKpM

This is not my bike but the knocks are exactly the same, just the ones between 0.21-0.23

What clutch bearing issue?
That doesn't sound like the clutch to me, sounds like something banging around - perhaps the oil pump chain?
But why are people not bright enough to muffle the exhaust note when they are trying to video engine noises...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm guessing a broken friction disc.

I had similar issue in my thread. Noise went away when I pulled in the clutch lever. --> Thread here

Opened the case, noticed the broken disc, replaced it and all is well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeap, that's the sound alright! Have no patience now to open it up and see.....

Thanks Dafu, thanks Bladeracer, thanks everybody that gave me tips, now it's up to me to open it and see exactly!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts