Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been about a month since the trip and I keep putting off writing it up, so I'll start the easy way and just post pics with little blurbs. I'll write up more later.

Here's day two, where 101 and 1 meet about 45 miles north of Ft. Bragg (Leggett). The 20 some miles before Leggett on 1 are just about the best twisties there are. Cool, coastal weather and nice, tight corners, one after another. This stretch is the stuff of legends.

The Drive through tree is right down the road.

Here's the bikes at Snail's up in Gold Beach. Snail had a kickin' Blues Rock band palying for us and about 100 ponds of fresh fish.

His garage was up to the task of taking in all of our bikes

On the next day, we came across a bridge out and had to make a detour. The local said it would be about 3 miles of gravel. I turned out to be 6.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's our tour guide of the day:

And my fully loaded bike.

The roads speak for themselves:

Too bad Snail picked up a Nail. Considering where we had been, he could have been in a lot worse of a place. We were only 20 miles out of Eugene when his tire gave up.

Snail did have a good tire repair kit; but, the tire was gashed badly. I guess Greg and I scared the snot out of the driver when we passed him later.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our original camp destination was on fire, so we pressed on until we found this place:

We ate like kings that night.  Would have been the best campsite ever if it hadn't ben for the train on the other side of the river.  It would let loose its whistle right when it lined up with Snail's tent.

The next day, Greg and I split off from the main group.  We found the road less traveled.  Greg hit a deer on this one and kept the bike up.  More on that story later.

On and on we went.  I'm not sure these places are on any maps...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After about 70 miles of not seeing another soul, we hit more thick gravel. We couldn't turn back, so we road for 18 miles on gravel, climbing a mountain, until we made it here:

What a view. We coasted about 6 miles down for the fun of it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We were tired and I didn't want to stop at crater lake. When we got there, I couldn't help but stop.

Glass smooth. Would be great to wake board!

We made it down to Shasta that day. Not a bad time of day to see Shasta. The sunsets there are even better, though.

And that's only scratching the surface of the trip...

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Sweet! I took a bike up to Bragg once and camped, there are some great roads up there. But your trip was way cooler than mine!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I can't wait to go myself. I'm on vacation for the next week and a half and I'll be riding 36 the mendocino coast and some other spots up north. I don't think I can carry enough to camp on the 954 so I'm motel camping.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Sounds like an awesome trip! I need to do one of those. The east coast version, although I'd love to ride out west. I need like 2 months off!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd have loved to have had more time to keep riding. THe Hayabusas's in the pictures kept on going on up into British Columbia. I would have kept going with them; but, I already had my wedding planned for the next Saturday.

Damn fun stuff. Left on a Monday at 3:30 PM and got back home on Friday at 12:30 PM. All said, a tick over 1300 miles for the trip (24 of which were gravel).

I do at least one long trip a year. Last year, I did 2800 miles in ten days on a Buell (and nothing broke&#33 without leaving Cali. I'm sure I'll do another one next year and I'll post up details pretty far in advance.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sounds like fun! I've been wanting to ride up to Mendocino. Dunno if I'd camp out though as there's a nice B&B I like up there!
Great pics too - love the one of Crater Lake.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Nice write-up, and even nicer pics. Cool

1 - 14 of 14 Posts