Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I did it again!!! My 954 is once again damaged, luckily not by a crash.

I was finishing up my install of the 15 tooth front sprocket. I was just tightening down the rear axle nut and was torquing it down, when I accidently lifted the rear end up off the stand. You guys can guess the rest. Yup, the 954 falls to the right and lands right on a jack stand I have sitting there. :rant:

Damage report: Dented tank, scratched swingarm, scratched windscreen and scratched and cracked front fairing. Hell, I had less damage from my lowside!!! :mad:

Just thought I would share my misery with you guys.

Good note, the -1 sprocket kicks ass!!! :thumb:

Oh yeah, I'm in the market for a good condition tank! :eyebrows:

Rick

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
booth23 said:
What kind of rear stand was it?
Pitbull stand. Wasn't the stands fault at all, it was mine. I usually place my hand on top of the rear tire when I tighten the rear axle nut, but I was talking to a buddy that just walked up to the garage. Didn't think about it till it was falling! :rolleyes: Live and learn.

Anyway, I be up in Seattle in the end of May with the 954, so you want to hit Hwy 20? :thumb:

Rick

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Came very close to doing something very similar a few days ago, luckily, I was sitting in just the right spot to catch it (or have my leg broken if I didn't)

Z...

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Damn...that sucks.... :crap:

FWIW, when I work on the rear axle, I like to use a short extension. This allows you to put the wrench pointing toward the front of the bike when tightening.....which actually forces the tail of the bike down instead of up and off the stand. The opposite is true when loosening the nut....lay the wrench horizontally and pointing to the rear of the bike...
Just my $0.02.....

Hope you get it fixed soon....

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Sorry to hear, hope your luck changes for the better very soon!!

Thanks for the insight!! I’ve always torqued the rear axle on my Pitbull without a second thought, without any issues!! I will defiantly think twice before I attempt to torque/loosen the rear axle.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Oh man, that sucks. I almost dropped mine last week when I was putting the Hindle on it. I had her up on a rear stand and put the kickstand up while disconnecting the HTEV cables. I went to take it off the stand and started to lean it over on the kickstand that wasn't there! WHOA! :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts