Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being on the bike and loving it she decided to take the plunge and do her CBT.

If it all goes to plan she then plans big bike test. The topic then move to "i don't want a big bike to start with" so i have found a RGV250 looks nice. The search begins for another blade though.

In the mean time with all the charity ride we are planing on doing we need a tourer ! Any recommendation? found a zzr1100 and a FJ1200 XJ900 ! and loads of BM's we just want something with all the luggage. I was somewhat warned of the BM's due to needing BMW tool to do some of the jobs on it. Clutch !

Sorry for swearing ! lol

I have never ridden a rgv250 ! any thoughts please.

Cheers All

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Re: The wifes doing her CBT today. Then DAS!

I have never ridden a rgv250 ! any thoughts please.
Incredibly light, noisy, smokey, rattley and thrives on revs.
Maintenance heavy and bloody thirsty.
Not at all happy below 8000rpm from memory.
Which year is it?

·
Premium Member
21,012 Posts

Good luck to the little lady today :thumb: :clap: Keep us posted in this thread on how she gets on:)

Why don't you go ALL out and go for the grand daddy of tourers, get ya'self a Pan :evilaugh: NO...not Peter...the European one :rotfl:

ZZR1100 sounds like it could be a winner :thumb: Why not just get yourself and the wife and TEST ride them before you buy, remember its not just you, its the pillion that is looking for comfort also:thumb:

·
Premium Member
9,087 Posts

Good luck to the Mrs's Jbond:thumb:

the RGVs are great fun, bet you'll use it more than her:D

Blades right though, they need constant maintanence.. regular ring replacement* althogh this may just be the way i rode it:rotfl:........

...Ah!.... that reminds me.... most are thrashed to within an inch of there life:crap:

*both for you and the pistons

·
Registered
6,507 Posts

Good Luck Mrs.Bond!

As for bikes, how about looking for a 400?

Tourers - well the old BMWs seem to go on forever, as do FJ1200s. I think BMW continue to make spares for all of their bikes too. You can get CBR1000s for a good price, I would go for that over a ZZR (I had a ZZR600 and was not impressed quality-wise). Or an old Pan European as Jazzy suggested, one of the best tourers ever made!

·
Premium Member
11,900 Posts

After being on the bike and loving it she decided to take the plunge and do her CBT.
Can't advise on a bike* but want to wish her all the best with her CBT :thumb:

* Apart from saying get her a CBR400 :D small, light, corners well, easy to maintain (if you've worked on a Blade, a BabyBlade will be a walk in the park) and a perfect bike for a new rider.. If Mrs JBond wants to try sitting on one give us a shout and she can come sit on mine as you're not that far away :thumb:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

The RGV is a 94 which has been rebuilt from the ground upwards...
We are looking to get a tourer And the wife a bike when she passes, we seam to be doing a lot of charity rideouts which are cool, so we would use the tourer but if we fancied a quick hack go out on the blade and HER bike.

I do fancy the Pan but its $, i can pick a BM for a few quid, i do like the idea of the zzr as well. The search begins.

Left the wife doing the CBT, fingers crossed for the weather as it looks like it going to throw it down.

I might have to have a rethink about the RGV, it needs to be low maintenance, and bob your right i would use it more than her!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Just found her a nice nc24 on a 88 with 16k on it. If this was set to be learner legal how do there restrict it ? the only reason i ask is the sell says it has a slight misfire and it holds back on acceleration! Might just be carb issue and its only up for £600.

There are so many spares available for them, i cant believe it, loads more than my blade.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts

The RGV is a 94 which has been rebuilt from the ground upwards...
We are looking to get a tourer And the wife a bike when she passes, we seam to be doing a lot of charity rideouts which are cool, so we would use the tourer but if we fancied a quick hack go out on the blade and HER bike.

I do fancy the Pan but its $, i can pick a BM for a few quid, i do like the idea of the zzr as well. The search begins.

Left the wife doing the CBT, fingers crossed for the weather as it looks like it going to throw it down.

I might have to have a rethink about the RGV, it needs to be low maintenance, and bob your right i would use it more than her!
All RGV's are regularly rebuilt from the ground up - get used to swinging spanners :)
I have a soft spot for the K-Series BM's but I'd be very surprised if I ever actually ended up owning one. A car engine with a wheel on each end.

·
Premium Member
11,900 Posts

Just found her a nice nc24 on a 88 with 16k on it. If this was set to be learner legal how do there restrict it ? the only reason i ask is the sell says it has a slight misfire and it holds back on acceleration! Might just be carb issue and its only up for £600.

There are so many spares available for them, i cant believe it, loads more than my blade.
JBond she wont be able to ride that as a learner.. She will only be able to ride a 125, 100 or 50 once she's passed her CBT

·
Premium Member
11,900 Posts

I'd buy that for her for once she's passed her DAS, will give you a chance to sort it out properly :thumb:

·
Premium Member
21,012 Posts

I'd buy that for her for once she's passed her DAS, will give you a chance to sort it out properly :thumb:
:plus1:Good little project to keep you occupied, and you could get the wife involved as its going to be her bike, and at the same time she can learn more about how it all..'ticks' so to speak...AND at 600 bucks !! Got to buy it, it would be criminal not to:thumb: :rotfl:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Exblader,Direct access course, you do the cbt, then they move you straight onto a 500cc bike and with a weeks training you do your big bike test.

Then you can ride anything, without a 2 yr wait.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.