1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hss::hss::hss::hss::hss:
OH MY LORD!
:hss::hss::hss::hss::hss:

Just taken my new blade for its first ride on a big road.

Never have I ridden anything so responsive, agile and rewarding. To bad its getting dark outside! Tomorrow awaitings....

I don't think I will sleep...

Rich

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
It is an amazing motorcycle. It turns in like a 929 but has the front end stability of the RC51 (SP1/SP2). I don't even want to ride an Ohlins suspended model with a properly A/F'd map running.

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
:hmm: I wondered why it had brightened up here.. it must be the last rays of the sun reflecting off your teeth when you are smiling.. :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Congrats on the new blade and welcome to the club :) The bike is a blast and sowed me just how capable it is when I took it on a ride from the 8E to Julian in cali. I dont reccomend taking 35 mph turns at 90 but the bike was just planted and felt so responsive in the turns that I didnt realize what I was doing until I was deep in a left hander and happened to glance down at the speedo.

It was squidish of me but to be honest it just felt right...like the road deserved to be ridden like that. Next year when I buy my replacement bike there will certainly be track days in its future.

So, happy riding to ya, and may the idiots in cages never thwart your quest for a perfect ride.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You spoke too soon... :(

I popped to the garage today to book it in for its first service.

Coming up to the front of the garage I came up a small ramp on the pavement, the bike slowed right down and then - bang! it fell over!

Snapped the gear selector, scratched the left mirror, bar end, clutch end, scuffed the fairing and the engine casing. And it leaked some oil?

I just hope the handle bars are strong, and they can cope being dropped on and not be bent.

I suppose i was lucky to do it right outside the garage. Now have to wait for the new gear selector to come in and for them to do the service.

Rich

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It leaked coolant I'm being told, no damaged that effects handling - only cosmetics - phew...

I can replace bits week by week, so not too bad... I'm still very upset today mind!!! especially as I won't get it back until a week Thursday...as its going to take a week for the gear selector to come in - gutted.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah damn. You guys need over night shipping :D

Sorry about the drop, how much has the damage come to?
Well...

I've damaged:

1x Left Indicator/Mirror housing (I'm hoping I can just buy the surround)
1x Clutch Lever (Not broken, just grazed)
1x Bar End (Again, just grazed)
1x Alternator Cover (this I think took most of the fall, as it the most grazed but not cracked)
1x Gear Selector - the rubber toe tab broke right off! (Not sure if its bent anything connected with it)
1x Left Fairing - 1 Inch scratch along the top crease that has gone through to the black plastic, the CBR badge is scratched and also its grazed along the bottom
1x Leakage of Coolant.

Thats the total of the damaged - I hope.

The main thing I'm worried about is if the handled has changed, ie the handle bars are slightly missed aligned or something, as it landed on the bar end? Are these bike normally quite strong in this regard?

I checked the handle bar stopper on the headset, and there appears to be no damage there, as if it been bent back or something.

My dad (bless him) has told me to get everything repaired and sent him the bill - I was shocked...:eek: I was only going to replace the gear selector to start with - Family eh - they do surprise you!

Going to get some crash bobbins now - any good ones apart from the Honda 'tabs' you stick on?

Rich

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So where is the coolant coming from?
Been told it came out of the overflow, when it tipped over.

So just been to have a 2nd (calm) look at her. Glady the damage is no way as bad as I first thought. The fairing scratching is minimal - yesterday I stated it was an inch scratch, but in reality its only 1-15cm in length.

The mechanic assures me the handle/handle bars haven't been affected, but I'll believe that once I'm back riding it.

Damage on the clutch/bars end is not worth the cost of replacement - however I do now have an excuse for some better levers ;)

Mirror housing again doesn't need replacement, but I think that bit will eat away at me, so perhaps in the new year I'll order a new one.

Along with a replacement gear seletor (£41) I've ordered (which I should of ordered before taking delivery..:rant::rolleyes: )

1x Generator Cover (£81.53)
1x HRC Tank and Fuel Cap Protectors (£22.73)
1x Fairing Scuff Guards (£57.79)
1x Carbon Fibre Crankcase and Generator Proectors (£238)

A bit of an expensive fall eh!

·
Registered
35 Posts
R&G? Harris? They all make crash bobbins, not sure if you have to cut your fairings for them though :idunno:
I've installed the R&G crash bobbins last week. They realy look very good on the bike, and yes you have to cut your fairings. But its worth it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Oh no trix,please dont drop it again,sorry but when I read that you dropped the bike the first thing that came to mind was my x'gf,she had a zx6 and even dropped the bike in the driveway,and at the pub and in town and and and.I eventually got her to sell it,my nerves were shot.
Keep the rubber side down bud
Cheers
Chukky:thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts