Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone here has ever bought a shark skins body kit... but if you haven't... don't! Nothing is drilled or cut correct and it costs $700 and with all that hassel its not even painted. With all that said you could buy a painted kit WITH a front fender and a windscreen and if you get it from NiceCycle.com for $780 you can even pick a a basic paint job... Please learn from my mistake

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just ordered a kit on ebay for $595 from a company outta colorado. I hope they are better than what you describe. I sent a pm to a fellow on here that spoke highly of them and had pics of his ride. I just ordered them 3 days ago but I will let u know how they work for me. The company claims they are exact fit and 100% interchangeable with stock fairings. Sorry to hear urs didn't fit.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I just ordered a kit on ebay for $595 from a company outta colorado. I hope they are better than what you describe. I sent a pm to a fellow on here that spoke highly of them and had pics of his ride. I just ordered them 3 days ago but I will let u know how they work for me. The company claims they are exact fit and 100% interchangeable with stock fairings. Sorry to hear urs didn't fit.

hey what year bike do you have? whats the name of the comapny? and def let us know how they fit because i am looking to possibly change some fairings on my 08...

·
Registered
121 Posts
The company is listed as an ebay store called steelesnewparts. They are outta colorado. Its a full 8 piece body kit for my 07 krr for $595 shipped. They had several kits for different bikes. Most are painted, clear coated, drilled, have heat shield lining and ready to install. The one I ordered was black and red with flames.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me know how that body kit fits, Mine took alot of work to make it work, as well as painting and fabricating brackets

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey guys just wanted to keep u posted. I wouldn't order yourselves a set from the company I mentioned. I just caught a red flag. The company on ebay says they are in colorado in the item listing. I ran the tracking number just a few minutes ago and it is being shipped from china. I'm not saying there is a problem with them but somethin seems a lil fishy. It also kinda gets me :chainsaw: angry :chainsaw: that they advertise as being a US company but the item is coming from China. I just feel better spending money on our failing economy than overseas. Hopefully it is a good product. im keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yah I think I talked to that company, Most of companies on ebay get their kits from Honkong, China. Be Careful their might be additional Customs charges not included in the shipping fees, Thats the main reason why I went with sharkskins, and that right now seems to be their only redeeming feature

·
Registered
237 Posts
i've always had, and heard good things about Sharksins. but i believe they don't advertise to be painted or drilled or precut. the reason for that is so many people like to alter their bike (like stretching and dropping) and they dont' want to sell a product that has stock holes in it if your bike doesn't have stock mounting.

I've seen people go down w/ SS at the track and they've held up really well. Also, when talking to the local paint body guy he says the SS's are ready to paint and react really well to the paint.

You pay for what you get when dealing with the ebay plastic sets. You're right they're all the same and from China. A local rider had them on his 954 and went tooling down the road at 100+ and the lower fairing came lose from the bike and started slapping him in the shoulder...

I'll pass on that and go with a better company/product for a little more money.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I'm aware that SS isn't painted, I was just starting to wonder if a ebay or NiceCycles kit that was painted that came with a windscreen, front fender and inner covers would have made more sense.

·
Registered
237 Posts
possibly. if you're wanting a realtively ( and i use that strongly) easy plug and play, the ebay kits in theory would suffice.

a couple of things to think about.

If you go down in the china plastics consider them a complete loss. they're not sturdy enough to repair or make due. The SS are more durable (from what i've seen on the track) to hold up to the the lowside and the ability to fix.

Do a little searching on the forums for people that have the china fairings. almost EVERY one of them had major mounting issues or having to redrill the holes completely. they tell you when you purchase them that you need to have them professionally installed. call the bike shop and see what that will run you.

It's your money and i know you'll do what you want to with it (like i do) but want to give you some things to think about.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Here are mine for the ebay seller aucutmart1 (might have that mispelled but they are easy to search/find)

Other then a couple holes needing to be welled out a little due to thick paint/clear they were a perfect fit!!! I would recommend them in a heart beat!! I honestly had more trouble getting the tank painted to match then fitting these fairings.

On that note request the color code for whatever paint scheme you choose!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Johnnyspeed954 How many miles have you rode with yours? So you havent had any issues? My tank actually has a plastic cover so I wont need anything else painted cuz a new one comes with the kit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well now that I have completed my bike, I can see that SS is much stronger, but what a pain in the a** to put it together.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just an update. I should have the plastics I ordered from ebay this week according to the tracking number. I'm expecting them with the mail today 2/8 or tommorow 2/9. I will let yall know what I think about them when they arrive. I'm probably gonna wait to install them due to the fact that my garage is not heated and I do not wish to snap them in the cold temp.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Just an update. I should have the plastics I ordered from ebay this week according to the tracking number. I'm expecting them with the mail today 2/8 or tommorow 2/9. I will let yall know what I think about them when they arrive. I'm probably gonna wait to install them due to the fact that my garage is not heated and I do not wish to snap them in the cold temp.

not a bad idea...or you could just roll it into your living room!!!:eyebrows:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts