Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am posting this here because apparently no one on the entire R1 forum knows anthing about this thing or what it does. I believe other makes probably use the same thing but I do not know.
I have an 05 R1 and attached to the throttle bodys is something called a thermo wax. It is an actuator that coolant runs through and probably has something to do with idle speed although thanks to the lack of info or proper explinations in the yamaha manual I have no idea how exactly it works.
I want to know because if possible I am going to remove it totally and do away with some coolant hoses.
If anyone knows anything about this please fill me in.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I saw something like that. We have these on some of our cars and trucks at Nissan but they do not function in the exact same way. I understand the mechanics behind how a thermo wax pellet works the question is exactly how it is operation on this bike and what it does. I get that it effects idle but how it is doing that and in what way I can't find out.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
It controls idle speed by bypassing air around the throttle plates the same as all cars do now. The wax thermal valve when cold, mechanically lifts the idle air control valves (IAC) off their seats slightly allowing air to bypass and increase engine idle. When it warms from the coolant, they return.

Cars basically do the same thing except the IAC is commanded to open by the ECM based on other sensors like air temp and coolant temp. The bike version is much more basic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts