Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently joined Fireblade and have found a great deal of useful information on servicing my '01 CBR929. This is my first post and I need a how to guide for removing the air box to install a new thermostat.

On my first attempt I was able to remove the tank but found it difficult to remove the air box. I'm sure that someone out there has conquered this task before and I would deeply appreciate some help.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
After removing the tank you will as you've probably noticed, have access to screws which hold the top of the airbox on. Remove these screws along with the map sensor which is attached to the back right hand sie of the air box. After you remove the lid of the airbox, you can remove your air filter. Following that, you will need a long #2 phillips screwdriver to revove the velocity stacks (six screws total). These are brass screws, so they strip VERY easily. I recommend puting the screwdriver onto the head of the screw and giving the end of the screwdriver a good whack or two to help break the seal between the srew and throttle bodies. After these six screw are removed, you can gently lift the bottom portion of the airbox and disconnect any remaining hoses that are attached.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I did a thermostat replacement recently on my '93 900RR. Once the airbox is off, you'll find that the lower thermostat bolt is easy to remove, but the upper one, being so close to the frame, is a bear. Use a 1/4" drive socket with a universal joint coupling. Worked for me.

Do get a new O-ring along with the new thermostat. And refill with coolant that specifically states "no silicates".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Remember that the thermostat isn't a necessary piece on your bike. On my racebike, i've removed it. If you do remove it, just give your bike a little more time to heat up on a cold morning, thats all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts