Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....I only used my bike for 2000kms last year and the last 5 months of 08 it didn't get much use either. The bike has been sat for about 3 months now and the battery is flat ! I have put it on 'trickle' charge tonight to see if I can revive her.
My question is...Is this normal for a battery with such a young life ?
And, If I can get her just to start will I be able to get some charge back into her from general use?

Thanks in advance Jazz :thumb:

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Whats up pal? I don't think the alternator will start to charge the battery until it is at 4k rpm, the charge should bring it back to life imo.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Ok....I only used my bike for 2000kms last year and the last 5 months of 08 it didn't get much use either. The bike has been sat for about 3 months now and the battery is flat ! I have put it on 'trickle' charge tonight to see if I can revive her.
My question is...Is this normal for a battery with such a young life ?
And, If I can get her just to start will I be able to get some charge back into her from general use?

Thanks in advance Jazz :thumb:
If the battery is still good then you should be fine just charging it.
If it's not good then it won't hold a charge.
Check the battery voltage at idle and see that it's rising. If not then the charging system isn't working.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Whats up pal? I don't think the alternator will start to charge the battery until it is at 4k rpm, the charge should bring it back to life imo.
The charging system is operating at idle.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Perhaps you should spend more time on your bike and less time on here! :poke:
If he rode like he posts, it wouldn't be the battery that'd be the problem, the engine would be worn out :)
Seventeen posts a day, _every_ day for 20 months - that's like 300,000kms in bike years :)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
If he rode like he posts, it wouldn't be the battery that'd be the problem, the engine would be worn out :)
Seventeen posts a day, _every_ day for 20 months - that's like 300,000kms in bike years :)
:lmao: PMSL exactly! :rotfl:

Doing that many km's he'd probably have worn Lanzarote out, it's not that big after all!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
:lmao: PMSL exactly! :rotfl:

Doing that many km's he'd probably have worn Lanzarote out, it's not that big after all!
Even better!

·
Registered
20,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps you should spend more time on your bike and less time on here! :poke:
:eek:
:rolleyes:

Well its like this lads, when I first had the bike I was doing 2000kms per month without batting an eyelid,,,the only thing that stopped me was being able to afford a set of tyres EVERY month. So I guess I',m a mileage whore also as Larry said :thumb: :rotfl:

OKAY, the battery.......charged over night, got home this arvo, charger needle still on zero:crap: Got the multimeter out and the battery was reading 13. something, so I turned the key and hit the button...............DAMN thats a good battery!! She fired up 1st time and as quick as you like....

So my mates charger 'needle' ain't working by the looks, but the charger is and my battery is good:thumb: Wasn't looking forward to 80euros for a new one:rolleyes:

Thanks for everyones HELP, Destructo and Bladeracer ...Sheesh what are friends for eh ? :rotfl: :rotfl::lmao:

Cheers Spina gentleman as always, compared to the OTHER 2 :smilebig: :poke: :rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
You know us Jazzy, always happy to help! :lmao:

Just a thought, I saw a thread on here about Maxxis tyres, I don't think they last any longer but are cheaper to buy - might be worth a go? Even if they are rubbish, they're only gonna last you 2000kms anyway.

·
Registered
20,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know us Jazzy, always happy to help! :lmao:

Just a thought, I saw a thread on here about Maxxis tyres, I don't think they last any longer but are cheaper to buy - might be worth a go? Even if they are rubbish, they're only gonna last you 2000kms anyway.
Cheers butty :thumb:
Tires also last longer if you use all of the tire :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: I ruin the WHOLE thing, well the roads here do, coupled with the awesome power of the European Blade :D (no mods needed) :rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
20,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update....about a week later after charging the battery, I had to fork out the 80euros :rolleyes: The old one just gave up and died:crap:

·
Registered
20,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn Repsol's:rotfl::rotfl:
I wish I'd bought one of the more..unassuming colours then I wouldn't of had to try and live up to the GP style racer that the Repsol colour scheme is inclined to say about itself and the rider...Obviously I took to this roll like a duck to water:evilaugh: :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
I wish I'd bought one of the more..unassuming colours then I wouldn't of had to try and live up to the GP style racer that the Repsol colour scheme is inclined to say about itself and the rider...Obviously I took to this roll like a duck to water:evilaugh: :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
touche:rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
So GP racers only do 2000km a year, then leave their bikes in the shed to rot for the rest of the time?? :poke:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Update....about a week later after charging the battery, I had to fork out the 80euros :rolleyes: The old one just gave up and died:crap:
Sorry Im late to the party Jazz-man!

I had a new battery and left the bike standing for a few months... it killed the battery.
Apparently, once the alarm discharges the battery past a certain point it is no longer reviveable.
I was lucky, Mine was within its 1yr warrenty... so I just got them to replace it and didn't tell them about the alarm!

If I know the bike is standing for a long time i try to trickle charge it or just take the battery off for a bit. (just be carefull....this will stop your alarm working!!!)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
20,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry Im late to the party Jazz-man!

I had a new battery and left the bike standing for a few months... it killed the battery.
Apparently, once the alarm discharges the battery past a certain point it is no longer reviveable.
I was lucky, Mine was within its 1yr warrenty... so I just got them to replace it and didn't tell them about the alarm!

If I know the bike is standing for a long time i try to trickle charge it or just take the battery off for a bit. (just be carefull....this will stop your alarm working!!!)

Enjoy!
Thanks for the heads up butty:thumb: No alarm on mine though, just the HISS system. My battery was from new, it was 3 years old, I bought the bike from new at the end of 2007, so it was standing in the bike from manufacture DOB. So was sat in the bike for a year at least:rolleyes:

So all in all it didn't do too bad I suppose:thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts