Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my names kev and am new to this nice site!

1st bike was Honda NSR 125

2nd bike was Yam DT125

3rd bike was a Yam Thundercat

Loved all 3 but in the mood for a change so i sold the Cat last weekand. I am looking at a CBR900RR 1997 34k they want £1450 for it.

What do i need to watch out for and check? Any advice when buying? I also here the 1998 version was better for taller blokes like me, true?

Thanks for your help

Kev.

·
Registered
342 Posts
not sure how similar the euro version of the 900rr is to the ones here in the states.. but the 900rr is known to have charging stator issues, noisy valve train, weak second gear i believe, and #3 rod bearing failures.

ive owned my '96 for a little over a year and all ive had go wrong is a nuked stator. outside of that its been nothing but reliable.

as with any bike, if the guy will let you drop the oilpan, that would be a good idea. if there are metal chis in there and the engine has a knock i would pass. also bring a volt meter with you to check the charging system. and for shits and giggles, take a look at the airbox and make sure its not some modded POS

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Charging issues are known (stator, reg/rec) and camchain tensioners are known faults, as above. Apparently 2nd gear can be a problem on some bikes but this was apparently sorted from '98 onwards. But that said, these problems don't seem to be too common and are all pretty easy to fix if they do happen. Generally they are solid, reliable bikes that should go well in to 6 figure mileages if they are generally looked after.

Apparently the '98/99 (RRW/RRX) models had a slightly more road-focused riding position than earlier models, but I reckon the difference is probably minimal. When my '98 was parked next to JB's '97 last weekend they looked pretty similar to me, apart from the parts I have fitted (lower pegs / higher bars). Don't forget, 1998 was the year that the R1 was launched which is altogether smaller (and more uncomfortable!) than the Blade, which gained the 'sports tourer' tag as a result. It's really not a sports tourer! That's the press for you, I'm afraid.

There are plenty of really good 900's out there at the moment, don't buy the first one you find - I have seen some nice looking bikes for under £2k.

·
Registered
931 Posts
'98 RR-X. 40000 miles. Absolutely no problems with it. Toured Europe, does the Nurburgring etc.
In all the miles I have only changed tyres, pads and chains/sprockets (and one fork oilseal, blame that on the Hawes road, some stiff jumps on that one).
Decided to refurbish the suspension over Easter, budget for a shock rebuild (£140 Kias in Atherton, North Manchester,, excellant!) Decided to spruce up the front end too, Hagon progressive springs and new oil, £70.
I put a 17'' front wheel on, back in the mists of time, (I've owned it since 2002) and generally cleaned and polished it to within an inch of its life. Little else to do to it really.
I have had no problems with tensioner or electrics but have the neccassry budget in reserve as I am sure these faults will raise their heads.
The motor still purrs (carb blancing vital every 15000 miles or so.
The bike is comfortable, the fairing much better at wind protection than earlier blades (and most modern stuff). If the damn thing would only go wrong then I could go looking at a later machine, but it dosent and it is never disgraced out on the real world roads.
Amazingly simple, piss easy to work on, no gobldygook electronics to screw up, probaly the best usable machine out there.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
I like to keep an eye out for used bike bargains, and since owning the Blade (3 years or so now) I have not found anything else that comes close for the money. It's why I still have mine.

CBR900s have to be about the best bike you can get for £2k-ish. They are pretty cheap to run too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys.

I here there is a big sevice at 32k am not sure if this has been done.
Not seen it yet but its stated as excellent condition new tyres battery and c&s 34k on the clock £1450 and its local. This a good price? Any place where corrosion hids? Had big problems with my cats swingarm.

kev

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
The valve clearances are scheduled to be checked and, if necessary, adjusted every 16k miles. Often they are OK. Worth checking if it has been done though. To check the clearances is fiddly but not too hard, changing them needs the cams to be taken out and the shims replaced which is beyond me. (Actually taking the cams out is easy, it's putting it all back together and getting the timing right that I have failed on in the past!)

There's nothing specific for corrosion, just check everywhere as you would with any bike. They are pretty well built though, so you should expect it to be in good nick - in fact excellent condition if that's what the ad states. Check the fork leg lowers, the paint can come off there (as with all bikes).

Price sounds OK - but I would still try to get a few quid off unless it really is that good. Even at the full £1450 it's a lot of bike for the money.

There are lots of them around, so don't be pressured in to buying the first one you find.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.