Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6,507 Posts
Charging issues are known (stator, reg/rec) and camchain tensioners are known faults, as above. Apparently 2nd gear can be a problem on some bikes but this was apparently sorted from '98 onwards. But that said, these problems don't seem to be too common and are all pretty easy to fix if they do happen. Generally they are solid, reliable bikes that should go well in to 6 figure mileages if they are generally looked after.

Apparently the '98/99 (RRW/RRX) models had a slightly more road-focused riding position than earlier models, but I reckon the difference is probably minimal. When my '98 was parked next to JB's '97 last weekend they looked pretty similar to me, apart from the parts I have fitted (lower pegs / higher bars). Don't forget, 1998 was the year that the R1 was launched which is altogether smaller (and more uncomfortable!) than the Blade, which gained the 'sports tourer' tag as a result. It's really not a sports tourer! That's the press for you, I'm afraid.

There are plenty of really good 900's out there at the moment, don't buy the first one you find - I have seen some nice looking bikes for under £2k.

· Registered
6,507 Posts
I like to keep an eye out for used bike bargains, and since owning the Blade (3 years or so now) I have not found anything else that comes close for the money. It's why I still have mine.

CBR900s have to be about the best bike you can get for £2k-ish. They are pretty cheap to run too.

· Registered
6,507 Posts
The valve clearances are scheduled to be checked and, if necessary, adjusted every 16k miles. Often they are OK. Worth checking if it has been done though. To check the clearances is fiddly but not too hard, changing them needs the cams to be taken out and the shims replaced which is beyond me. (Actually taking the cams out is easy, it's putting it all back together and getting the timing right that I have failed on in the past!)

There's nothing specific for corrosion, just check everywhere as you would with any bike. They are pretty well built though, so you should expect it to be in good nick - in fact excellent condition if that's what the ad states. Check the fork leg lowers, the paint can come off there (as with all bikes).

Price sounds OK - but I would still try to get a few quid off unless it really is that good. Even at the full £1450 it's a lot of bike for the money.

There are lots of them around, so don't be pressured in to buying the first one you find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.