Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Long time no see!! A lot has changed since the last time I posted anything in here, I settled into my new career and now have a kid. Unfortunately that means that I was a little too busy for my 929 and haven't ridden the poor thing in a long time!

Lately I've been commuting about 220 miles one way twice a week and with freaking gas prices I've let my eyes wander towards more "grown up" bikes. So of course I have a few q's...

How many miles do the ST's run for? I'd be looking at something under 5 grand, so probably something from the 90's. Would you recommend one year over another? Do they need a lot of maintanence? I'm totally new to all this sport touring stuff... Any other bikes similar to the ST that you would recommend? There's a BMW R1150 that a guy at my office might be selling, but I don't know if I can afford all the BMW maintanence costs!

Thanks for the help!

-crashing

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hey guys,

Long time no see!! A lot has changed since the last time I posted anything in here, I settled into my new career and now have a kid. Unfortunately that means that I was a little too busy for my 929 and haven't ridden the poor thing in a long time!

Lately I've been commuting about 220 miles one way twice a week and with freaking gas prices I've let my eyes wander towards more "grown up" bikes. So of course I have a few q's...

How many miles do the ST's run for? I'd be looking at something under 5 grand, so probably something from the 90's. Would you recommend one year over another? Do they need a lot of maintanence? I'm totally new to all this sport touring stuff... Any other bikes similar to the ST that you would recommend? There's a BMW R1150 that a guy at my office might be selling, but I don't know if I can afford all the BMW maintanence costs!

Thanks for the help!

-crashing
BMW maintenance is expensive if you get it done at the dealer, and that's usually when the valve adjustments are due. The plus side is that the valves are simple to get to and tons of people do their own. There is a ton of "how-to" information here, including some home-made DVD's from some people who really know what they are doing : Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your quick replies dux! I talked to a few people the other day anddecided to shy away from the bimmers. I think I am going to search for an st, unfortunately I need to sell my 929 first :( but I gotta keep the accountant (read: wife) happy!

I wonder why conq is selling his st...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
thanks for your quick replies dux! I talked to a few people the other day anddecided to shy away from the bimmers. I think I am going to search for an st, unfortunately I need to sell my 929 first :( but I gotta keep the accountant (read: wife) happy!

I wonder why conq is selling his st...
Conq buys the bike, mods the bike, rides the bike, and then sells the bike. His sickness is worse than my own.

Who steered you away from the bimmers, Harley guys? :rotfl: The GS has been the best bike I've owned. The ST's and FJR's were on my short list when I was shopping too...can't go wrong there.

I'd love to have a 929. Too bad you're so far away!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys I work with talked about the maintanence stuff, they ride the sh** out of their bimmers at work all day long... they ride black and white ones with and where funny boots that make people think of a cult classic tv show starring Eric Estrada.... :smilebig:

Actually they really like their bikes a lot, it's mostly me, I'm looking at spending whatever I can get for my 929 and not too much more. That prices me out of the Bimmers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts