Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I am in the process of purchasing a '98 CBR 600.

My question is, I'm wondering what all I will need to do/replace in getting the bike back to new condition, from a servicing standpoint.

The bike only has 88 miles on it, (not a typo) and has been garaged the entire time.

The seller is a good friend who bought the bike new and realized it wasn't his cup of tea.

Any advise on things that should be checked/replaced would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
746 Posts
....so it's been sitting in a garage for almost fourteen years straight. that poor poor thing.. how was it stored though? gas sittin inside from'98?haha battery left in it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not 100% positive about the gas. The battery was left in, I do know that. I don't think it was "perserved" in any way. Other than a dent in the gas tank from something hitting it while in the garage, it looks absolutely brand new.

I know I'll need a new battery, oil, gear box fluid, brake fluid, anti-freeze, etc.. I've just never worked on a bike that's sat that long. For example, even though the tires look like they rolled off the show room floor, they are as you said, 14 years old. I suspect there may be some dry rot, even though none is visible. It's those types of things I'm wondering about.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd put a new set of tyres on as the rubber 'goes off' and there is a chance of there being issues with them that you don't want to risk. I'd change ALL fluids throughout the bike (including forks).

The only other thing I'd be concerned about is the fact that the seals can dry out and leak but I'd worry about that if they leak and just keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
746 Posts
haha I can imagine it looks like a diamond in the rough. 88 miles!!! that's probably one of the lowest mileage older bikes ridin around.

but like said, all fluids you should be lookin to change and the tires id be surprised if they didn't have dry rot.. but I'd check all rubber tubes and hoses while your at it. and honestly it could be in a lot better shape than expected(or worse..haha) keep us updated though!

·
Super Moderator
14,687 Posts
Hey,
I am in the process of purchasing a '98 CBR 600.

My question is, I'm wondering what all I will need to do/replace in getting the bike back to new condition, from a servicing standpoint.

The bike only has 88 miles on it, (not a typo) and has been garaged the entire time.

The seller is a good friend who bought the bike new and realized it wasn't his cup of tea.

Any advise on things that should be checked/replaced would be greatly appreciated.
:eek: 88 miles! Wow, what a find. Good luck with it. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
88 miles on that bike is unheard of. thats a true awesome find there. Hope you enjoy it. As already mentioned flush and replace all fluids (oil, gas, brake, coolant, fork oil) i would check the fork seals. Replace the tires regardless of how they look. any tire sitting for 14 years is a risk i would not take riding on. I think you are making a great purchase though from the sounds of it though. good luck and look forward to seeing some pics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Depending on what you bought it for and what the KBB is it might be one of the best deals I’ve ever heard of! Just weigh what it’s worth after you get done paying a shop to do all work and all the items that will need replacement …If you don’t plain on doing repairs and replacements on your own .
As everyone else said fluids, tires, ect…. Bike’s like to be ridden!!! I would also see if there are any recalls on the bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts