Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
... for a start, how dare ANYONE criticise assless chaps??

Moto fashion Faux Pas? « Steady on the Humble
Is that rubbish indicative of the rest of that forum?

I tried tinted visors years ago and will never bother with one again.
I wear sunglasses (Aviators of course) to protect my eyes from debris when I have the visor up.
My brother lost an eye when he was sixteen so I know I'd like to keep mine as long as possible.

Never seen one of those motorcycle wallets.

And I've never seen jeans that were roomy enough to go over your boots, flares maybe :)

Gloves only? Gloves are essential, assuming you actually want to be able to feed and dress yourself after you crash :)

I never did see the point of chaps, arseless or otherwise. Do they offer any protection at all when you're sliding down the road?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Wore chaps for years, easy to get on and off and keep the wind off your legs. Just figured out that I can pull the knee armor out of a pair of textile overpants, get them on over a pair of shoes and get some protection without the dufus fashion statement. Still, I'll happily look like a dweeb if it makes me that much safer. I don't give a rat's a$$ what anyone thinks.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Wore chaps for years, easy to get on and off and keep the wind off your legs. Just figured out that I can pull the knee armor out of a pair of textile overpants, get them on over a pair of shoes and get some protection without the dufus fashion statement. Still, I'll happily look like a dweeb if it makes me that much safer. I don't give a rat's a$$ what anyone thinks.
"Keep the wind off your legs" - why?
Do you mean you wear the textile pants without the armour? Or does the knee armour have straps inside the pants that allows you to wear just the armour over your pants? You can just buy strap-on knee armour.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
"Keep the wind off your legs" - why?
Do you mean you wear the textile pants without the armour? Or does the knee armour have straps inside the pants that allows you to wear just the armour over your pants? You can just buy strap-on knee armour.
When it gets cold, its nice to have something windproof over your pants. Keeps you that much warmer.

I have a pair of old textile overpants, can't remember who made them. Cordura with hip and knee armor. I never wore them much because I couldn't put them on while wearing shoes or boots. It dawned on me not that long ago that the reason I couldn't put them on over shoes was because of the presence of rigid armor in the knee. The armor in the pants (and in all my jackets) fits into sewn-in pockets and can be easily removed. When I removed the knee armor I could get the textile pants on while wearing shoes or boots. This will make them much more useful.

While pants without knee armor are less protective that pants with knee armor, I've found that if the gear is that hard to get into I don't wind up wearing it. Pants without knee armor are better than no pants, though I'm not honestly certain they're as protective as the chaps. However, they still have hip armor and are waterproof, a nice added bonus. That, and they are not quite the haute couture that are the chaps, which suits me just fine.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
When it gets cold, its nice to have something windproof over your pants. Keeps you that much warmer.

I have a pair of old textile overpants, can't remember who made them. Cordura with hip and knee armor. I never wore them much because I couldn't put them on while wearing shoes or boots. It dawned on me not that long ago that the reason I couldn't put them on over shoes was because of the presence of rigid armor in the knee. The armor in the pants (and in all my jackets) fits into sewn-in pockets and can be easily removed. When I removed the knee armor I could get the textile pants on while wearing shoes or boots. This will make them much more useful.

While pants without knee armor are less protective that pants with knee armor, I've found that if the gear is that hard to get into I don't wind up wearing it. Pants without knee armor are better than no pants, though I'm not honestly certain they're as protective as the chaps. However, they still have hip armor and are waterproof, a nice added bonus. That, and they are not quite the haute couture that are the chaps, which suits me just fine.
I'd prefer to remove my boots and put proper protective gear on.
I understand that if gear is too hard to wear then it's worthless sitting at home while you're out riding. The way to fix that problem is to witness some gearless crashes and suddenly it doesn't seem so hard to put on afterall.

When it's freezing cold I wear a Dririder one-piece wet suit that takes just a minute to pull on even over full leathers and it rolls up small enough to easily fit in the trunk of the 929 or GSXR's. The legs pop open to allow you to pull it on over your boots and the collar goes high up into your lid to keep your neck warm.

When on earth did leather chaps ever become haute couture anywhere outside of gay nightclubs :)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
When on earth did leather chaps ever become haute couture anywhere outside of gay nightclubs :)
Ahh, those deaf to sarcasm.

I hear what you're saying but know myself. If I have to kick off my shoes every time I put on overpants I wind up not wearing the pants. Been there, done that. Pants sans armor is better than no pants, like I said.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
point of interest, the girl leaning on the side car, which i believe is a Neval Cossak (russian). Back in 1980 when i lived in Grimsby i worked for the garage that sold them, and part of my job was to convert the sidecars from right to left. They may look like shite but they were built like tanks. Just thought i would mention it...:idunno:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts