Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....I never thought it would be a big deal, but it sure is going to be hard to get used to doing this again! (And it's only been a little over 4 years since I graduated) I bought the book about a month ago for the class I'll be taking and last night did some of the problems. It's just plain weird to do work for nothing (other than learning)...and since it's taken me a month to get on it, I see my tendency to procrastination is still strong as ever. :crap:

Orientation Monday, and class starts Tuesday. There goes the summer. :(

To those who went back after 10 or 20 years, you have a newfound respect from me. :nworthy2:

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Oh, I'm sure it has to be tough. I can't imagine going back to class with the busy schedule my wife and I keep. I'll just have to make sure that whatever career I choose after the one I'm on now doesn't require any college work... :D

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
I'm working on a class for an industry designation right now. Test is in September and I just can't get motivated on it... :crap:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tigerblade said:
I'm working on a class for an industry designation right now. Test is in September and I just can't get motivated on it... :crap:
I do "bookwork" for work, but it's always to solve a problem. So much harder to get motivated for a grade. Oh well, just gotta get used to the game again.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I started school at 23, and it was tough in the beginning. I never did and still don't about making an 'A'. I'd shoot for 85ish percentile and end up hitting 80-81th percentile. Procrastination will occur, just make sure it gets done.

I also feel your pain as grad school awaits me shortly (would like to start in January if I'm still in the rain zone), just do it and quit thinking about anything else. What always helped me was that I'd tell myself 'you can't do that', and 'you are going to fail' then I'd get pissed and do it. Like I'm showing someone what I can do, :rotfl:

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
1 more week to go and I'm done....for two weeks anyhow. :(

Man, I can NOT wait for those two weeks. I'm just about all burnt out right now. :crap:

I waited ten years to go back. It's tough.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
luvtolean said:
I do "bookwork" for work, but it's always to solve a problem. So much harder to get motivated for a grade. Oh well, just gotta get used to the game again.
LTL,

Do you have your P.E.? I just took the Mechanical test in April....again! My procrastination tendencies took over the first time, and it's tough studying through the summer. Hopefully this time I got it. I felt much better about it this time.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope. I took and passed my EIT in college (and it got me in tax trouble! :rotfl: fuggin CA) but haven't really had the motivation to do the PE. In fact, in some ways I'm demotivated due to the extra liability you have as an engineer if you're a PE.

If you passed, CONGRATS! That's supposed to be a pretty hard test.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
luvtolean said:
Nope. I took and passed my EIT in college (and it got me in tax trouble! :rotfl: fuggin CA) but haven't really had the motivation to do the PE. In fact, in some ways I'm demotivated due to the extra liability you have as an engineer if you're a PE.

If you passed, CONGRATS! That's supposed to be a pretty hard test.
Actually I think it's easier than the EIT. EIT is much broader scope with math, dynamics and all that other junk that you studied a little bit of for 4+ years and you can't bring any reference materials. PE has 2 halves, 1st half is (for mechanical engineers) filled with Hydraulics, Machine design, or HVAC. Then in the afternoon you pick one of those 3 modules to focus on for the rest of the time. I actually didn't think it was that bad, I was just REALLY under prepared. If I studied for it 1/2 as much as I did for the EIT or any other test I took during college I would have passed the PE first time no prob. As it stands I am crossing my fingers until July 16th when the results come out.

-Shrub

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our studying involved going out drinking in Sac the night before the EIT. I took it just to see what it was like and planned to study for the next time. Most everyone in our group didn't pass, guess I got lucky. ;) What actually helped me was that I was a dual major, ME/EE for a while, so I had a bit broader knowledge than most.

The day of the EIT I saw dudes with wagons full of books rolling in for the PE. :rotfl:

WetShrub said:
I actually didn't think it was that bad, I was just REALLY under prepared. If I studied for it 1/2 as much as I did for the EIT or any other test I took during college I would have passed the PE first time no prob. As it stands I am crossing my fingers until July 16th when the results come out.

-Shrub
Really? Maybe I'll take the PE after I've been back in school a bit and am used to studying. When I was interviewing for jobs, nobody seemed to know what the EIT was so I've always considered the whole thing pretty useless. None of my co-workers has any of this stuff. My friend who works for CalTrans however, got a huge raise when he finally passed the EIT.

Will you get a raise if you get your PE?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
luvtolean said:
Our studying involved going out drinking in Sac the night before the EIT. I took it just to see what it was like and planned to study for the next time. Most everyone in our group didn't pass, guess I got lucky. ;) What actually helped me was that I was a dual major, ME/EE for a while, so I had a bit broader knowledge than most.

The day of the EIT I saw dudes with wagons full of books rolling in for the PE. :rotfl:

Really? Maybe I'll take the PE after I've been back in school a bit and am used to studying. When I was interviewing for jobs, nobody seemed to know what the EIT was so I've always considered the whole thing pretty useless. None of my co-workers has any of this stuff. My friend who works for CalTrans however, got a huge raise when he finally passed the EIT.

Will you get a raise if you get your PE?
I will probably get a raise but being an HVAC engineer it pretty much keeps me from being limited in my career. I could only go so far before I will need to sign and stamp my designs.

I had friends that passed the EIT with hang overs too.

As long as you know fluids you should be fine. I'd say 80% of the morning "mixed" session had something to do with fluids. Pumps, fluid loss (bernouli's equation), ducts, all that junk. The machine design guys get screwed because they don't do that stuff very often. Very few springs and gears and shafts and junk on the test.

They changed it all to multiple choice too, like the EIT. Only draw back is now the test costs $275. My work picked up the tab on that though luckily because it's considered professional development. So were the books and a review class.

-Shrub

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Found out Saturday I passed my P.E. exam! WOOHOO!!!

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:clap:
Congratulations WetShrub!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Just saw this topic today. I started going to college at 22 after doing the full time job thing out of high school. It took awhile to adjust but I think that already being used to not having free time has helped me out with taking time to study and do work, etc.

The only thing that has really bugged me is how many kids are here at the University that don't want to be here. For example, I am taking freshman chemistry this summer and my lab partner is your typical stupid blonde sorority girl who is more interested in talking to the zit-faced frat daddy that sits across from us. The two guys to the right of me always brag about how poorly they did on quizzes and tests when they are returned to us. It kinda annoys me to think that there are people out there who WANTED to get in, but couldn't, and these cockholes are taking their spot. It's just daddy's money anyways, right? Let's go party.

On the plus side, these people help my grades out and give me a boost of self esteem. I never was the smartest kid in high school, but I was far from the bottom. I think I graduated ~180 out of 750. So far I have been the curve breaker in all of my classes. ;) In this current chem class, the prof has said at the end of the term, he will curve the average class gpa to be around 2.4. Right now it is around a D average and I have gotten an A on 3 out of the 4 total tests. I think I could just stop going today and pull off a B, and an I am almost guaranteed an A if I go and stay awake.

Anyways, I don't know if this had anything to do with the original topic, but I just saw it, just came home from class, and wanted to do a mini-rant. :rant:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm in an engineering stats class and the book uses all kinds of real world studies for homework problems. Last night one of my problems involved a study at a fab my company bought a couple years ago. :rotfl:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts