Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost power yesterday...couldnt keep the bike running. Got home and found a melted connector where the stator clips to the regulator. Fixed that..... now when I test my battery its around 11.6 volts.....when the bikes running it drops to about 11.2-11.3. Now the batts dead again. When I took the stator cover off it looked clean, no copper...still coated with (the coating) and no signs of obvious failure. Now what?

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Lost power yesterday...couldnt keep the bike running. Got home and found a melted connector where the stator clips to the regulator. Fixed that..... now when I test my battery its around 11.6 volts.....when the bikes running it drops to about 11.2-11.3. Now the batts dead again. When I took the stator cover off it looked clean, no copper...still coated with (the coating) and no signs of obvious failure. Now what?
Check continuity of the stator.
My guess is it's toast.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ohms ........... Resistance.

On your DVM you should have a setting to measure resistance, continuity is zero (or thereabouts) resistance. When you're measuring your stator (from each yellow wire to each yellow wire) you should read some resistance due to the wire in the coils, 0.8 ohms springs to mind but I might be wrong. You also have to measure from each yellow wire to the chassis of the bike and this should be a high resistance, close to infinity (i.e. an open circuit). If you get continuity to chassis you have a problem with the stator.

I would disconnect the connector you have just repaired and measure the AC voltage with the bike running (idle) and it should be about 13VAC (I measured this last week on mine) from each of the yellow wires to each of the yellow wires. It is a three phase supply.

Figure 1    Three-Phase Stator

If you're getting an AC voltage across each phase it's probably the rectifier/regulator that's toast, my votes for this :p

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
I would disconnect the connector you have just repaired and measure the AC voltage with the bike running (idle) and it should be about 13VAC (I measured this last week on mine) from each of the yellow wires to each of the yellow wires. It is a three phase supply.
I thought is was something around 50-70VAC?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok....i did the wire to wire test. Ill label each wire 1,2,3 when I connect 1 and 3 the ohm just around...12.4-2.....12.4....2 continuously. When I connect 2 and 3 its the same. But when I connect 1 and 2 I get nothing....zero. wierd 2 and 3 ok...1 and 3 ok...but it does jump around on each.....is that the phases? Also when I ground my (black clip) and touch each wire I dont get anything at all.....? am i doing it right? ohm200 setting?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi BladeRacer,

I measured that voltage at idle, once the RPM goes up the voltage will go up.

I've never seen the voltages quoted in a manual for my bike but it would be stupid to have the RMS AC voltage greater than that as you would be dissipating it as heat even at idle.

RMS is associated with sinusoidal voltages.

The peak voltage is about 18V, so when it is bridge rectified and under load, i.e. you're getting your voltage drops through the diodes in the rectifier you'd be looking at about 16VDC to charge the battery.

It it was 50VAC, the peak voltage would be about 70VDC which the zener diodes in the regulator would then have to dissipate as heat. This may be the voltage at high RPM though, I haven't measured that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
temperedtim929

By the sounds of it if you're getting a different reading on one of the sets of wires one of the phases in the stator is kaput. When you say you get nothing do you mean zero ohms or no reading, i.e. off the scale/open circuit?

I presume your measuring across the wires coming out of the stator without the rectifier/regulator connected?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think this is similar to what we have on the blade (schematic attachment).

The transistor turns on (when the zener diode tells it to) to activate the SCRs to chop the AC voltage in order to maintain a fixed (regulated) DC voltage at the battery terminals even when the alternator is generating lots of AC voltage at high revs which is dissipated as heat into the frame of the bike.

If you are getting a noticeably different reading on ohms on a certain pair of wires then I'd say you need to invest in a new stator (BladeRacer was right :clap:)

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK...these are the most conclusive results ive had....was careful to do it right. Before I still had the rectifier connected.

Rectifier disconnected completely
bike running around 180F
wire 1 connected to 3 a constant 15-16 (no jumping around)
wire 2 connected to 3 a constant 15-16 (no jumping around)
wire 1 connected to 2.....nothing. not anything....reads 0.00 to be exact.

When I place the ground probe on the frame and the power probe on the wires... wire 1 reads 1.XX wire 2 reads 1.XX and wire 3 reads 2.XX

This is the best testing I can do but im not sure what the results mean. the ohms seem good except the wire 1 connected to 2, and im not sure what to think about the resistance when grounded to the frame.

I dont want to thrown a rectifier AND a stator at this damn thing...so, tell me what to do next please.

·
Registered
133 Posts
When you touch the two probes together on your meter without anything else connected I presume it goes to 0.0? This is a short circuit.

The bike doesn't have to be running to do this test and may interfere with the ohms reading. 15-16 ohms sounds a bit high but I don't know what scale your meter is on.

If one of the phases (i.e from one of the wires to another (with three wires you can connect your probes in three combinates, 1-2, 2-3, 1-3, hence three phases)) is short circuited together it is cream crackered :eek:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
K pictures.

picture 1 (my test position)
picture 2 (wires 1-3 and 2-3 connection)
picture 3 (shows my ohm meter setting and what it reads when wires 1-2 connected) 0.00
picture 4 (when i ground to frame and touch yellow wires, all three read this)
picture 5 (the whole set up...)

I will say one of the pics i took (not included) with the 1-3 wires connected was up around 20...seemed kinda high at ilde.

So...stator?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.