Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am putting the carbs back on after cleaning them and i put the throttle cables on and tightend them up. then when i turned the handle to full throttle i noticed it stays there i have to help it turn back. I do not have the carbs fully on yet cuz i want to figure out if its supposed to do that when the bike is not running or what. when the cables are off the throttle spring will snap right back when i do i by hand but once the cables are on there it sticks. I have the throttle cable with the 2 nuts on the top holder and the one with one nut on the bottom holder. I messed with the nuts positions on the top one and it doesnt matter where they are it will still stick. Before i did all this and i was riding it i did notice it would need my help to close the throttle sometimes but not frequently. So what do you gus think?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
So i am putting the carbs back on after cleaning them and i put the throttle cables on and tightend them up. then when i turned the handle to full throttle i noticed it stays there i have to help it turn back. I do not have the carbs fully on yet cuz i want to figure out if its supposed to do that when the bike is not running or what. when the cables are off the throttle spring will snap right back when i do i by hand but once the cables are on there it sticks. I have the throttle cable with the 2 nuts on the top holder and the one with one nut on the bottom holder. I messed with the nuts positions on the top one and it doesnt matter where they are it will still stick. Before i did all this and i was riding it i did notice it would need my help to close the throttle sometimes but not frequently. So what do you gus think?

Cables are too tight?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yes BR is right I had this issue when I put my cables back on, first off without the carbs connected make sure your cables are free moving, if not put some WD40 down the cables. Then connect to the carbs. There is quite a small sweet spot where you need to find to have the cables loose and the throttle snaps back but there is no slack in the throttle when first opened. Use the adjuster on the throttle end as well as the linkages on the carb end to set it up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes BR is right I had this issue when I put my cables back on, first off without the carbs connected make sure your cables are free moving, if not put some WD40 down the cables. Then connect to the carbs. There is quite a small sweet spot where you need to find to have the cables loose and the throttle snaps back but there is no slack in the throttle when first opened. Use the adjuster on the throttle end as well as the linkages on the carb end to set it up.

Yea i think its fixed. I took the throttle bar off and clean and lubed it with wd-40 then i messed with the adjustment again and now it snaps back( not as fast as it should though but at least it closes).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm having the same problem, except I was only replacing the hand bar grips. At first, the throttle would go back by its self, but then after a while of struggle with the bar grips, I noticed it wouldn't retract unless I would assist it.

I decided to open her up and see what's going on, and replace the air filter while I'm at it as well :D
Anyway, there seems to be slack on both throttle cables, where the cable meets the throttle body, as I assist it back to its neutral position and clicks as well. I haven't lubed the cable yet, I should be doing that tomorrow see if it makes a difference

Any suggestions what it could be?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
It could be as simple as the new grips sticking at either the throttle housing, or at the bar-ends, if you have them - make sure you've got a wee bit of clearance on each side of the grip... this might require trimming the end of the grip a little bit, depending on the setup.

Other than that, make sure the cables are routed correctly, so that there's no binding, and as you already mentioned, you could try lubing the cables, but my money is on the grip clearance, since you had no issue before those were changed. :thumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another question, which cable is push/pull? I don't see it on the service manual.

So much maintenance on this thing! I can't wait to get her back on the road :D

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Another question, which cable is push/pull? I don't see it on the service manual.

So much maintenance on this thing! I can't wait to get her back on the road :D

Pull opens the throttles, push closes them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You can do it with a single cable. I think the reason they have both is so that if the spring on the carbs breaks you can still close the carbs. In a single cable set up you are relying on the spring to completely close your carbs every time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Or unless your looking to shave every ounce you can to make a race bike (in the example of my friends race bike). Be safe, rather than sorry and in pain.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys :)

I was just looking for a temporary solution meanwhile the push throttle cable gets here (approximately 2 days).

The thread, closest to the throttle body, ended up snapping into half. Kinda bummed but the cable its self was starting to split. The splitting caused the cable to get stuck inside the tubing along with my new grips.

At least the cable didn't snap on me when the bike was operational :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi all, anyone know a way of feeding the pull throttle cable under the drum without taking the bodies off? It's killing my back standing over it trying and trying, gasp, dying....nearly dead...help!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi all, anyone know a way of feeding the pull throttle cable under the drum without taking the bodies off? It's killing my back standing over it trying and trying, gasp, dying....nearly dead...help!!
Unfortunately, there is no way around it. The push/pull throttle cables sit right under the gas tank, and air box. It's not so bad, and you don't have to take all the fairings off but I'd advise you to do it so that you don't nick them by accident.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Javi, but just to clarify.. I've got everything off and just put the throttle bodies on and tightened them up. The manual has it that a cable change can be done without taking the bodies off, are you saying they have to...this might make sense but all I'm trying to do is relocate the stop end into the pulley drum it routes under said drum and slots in but the cable has to route into path to. Don't mind taking off again just a bummer is all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm not entirely sure for newer bikes as mine is 2003 CBR600RR but most bikes I've worked on have the throttle cable right under the tank.

Hope that helps :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts