Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and came up short. Has anyone adjusted the slack out of the throttle cables. I can turn the grip about 1/8' before it engages. Is this normal? Can it be reduced? Would you want to reduce it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have found on my 929 that throttle cable adjustment is critical to smooth operation at low and mid rpm's. By adjusting the cable to the point of 'zero' slack the on-off, toggle switch, effect of the fuel injection can be almost eliminated. You do, of course, need to be able to turn the handlebars from 'lock to lock' without the cable increasing the engine speed. On my 929, the throttle cable required adjustment every 2-3 hours of operation during the first 2,000 miles. After that the cable stopped stretching with such freqency.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I don't like ANY slop in my throttle cable, though 1/8' is usually what's recommended. To adjust the slack out, look at the throttle cable where it comes out of the switch-gear housing. You'll see a small nut in front of an adjustment barrel nut. Loosen that small nut away from the barrel, and then turn the barrel so that it runs in closer to the small nut. Do it in small increments, turning the throttle grip until the desired amount of slack is achieved. Start the bike, and turn the bars from full-lock left to full-lock right, to make sure the RPMs stay constant. Finsish up my tightening the lock nut against the barrel.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I never really thought about it much until I traded the bike. The dude that has it now was saying he adjusted the throttle slop out. Then someonhow guessed which dealer (fo them 20 or so in the area sold it to me... whoa). I guess it was really sloppy. I just lived with it.

The dude's bike (we traded) had the throttle properly adjusted. WOW, what a difference! Really increased the smothness of my throttle inputs.

Hey, learning something new every day... I'd recommend it, might improve your riding experience ever further (not that it probably needs it&#33

1 - 4 of 4 Posts