Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1350 miles on the '02. Last week I took it out and heard and felt a considerable thunk down low at my first stop. I could feel it thru the pegs. Almost like the sidestand snapped up or was loose, but it was obviously already up. Listened for it again but it didn't happen during the fifty mile ride. Next time I take it out, same thing! Always at the first stop. Pull in clutch, finger the front brake, downshift-split second later- "Thunk". Fine after that. Today it was worse. Louder thunk, and I thought I could feel and hear a secondary small thunk after shifting the next few times. Is my clutch assembly disintegrating? The weird thing is that after the initial loud thunk and vibration, the bike seems to shift smooth and normally. But something ain't right. I'm new to Blades and have searched this site for clutch problems but haven't found one that sounds like mine. Any advice would be appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CBRJack,

Yeah, I thought of that, but the movement/thunk is coming from below. I can really feel it in the footpegs.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
No idea what the problem may be, but don't stress over it - that is what a warranty is for :nod: . Let "them" figure it out.

You DO still have a warranty I hope, right?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Bacchus,

:( GULP. No, It is not still under warranty. But I'm not beating myself up about that. It's just that I've come to love this bike already and now my baby has a problem. Call it parental concern. Plus I'm one of those neurotics that can't rest until everything's perfect. Guess I'll take it in the shop in the next few days and let them poke and prod. Odd that it clunks once, then seems fine. If the clunks weren't getting louder/stronger, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
If I'm understanding your post correctly, you're saying that the first couple of times you put the bike in first, it clunks, then that symptom goes away as you ride the bike more?

If that's the case - All my Hondas do that. It's pretty common, from what I've heard.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Umm!

Are you sure its not from the transmittion going into first gear ?

Ive got an 02 and it always makes a loud thunk into first gear.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Honda transmissions are notorious for the "clunking" in the lower gears (you just learn to live with it), but to me it is odd that this problem sorts itself out after one occurrence. Where are the mechanics on the .org?

·
Registered
57 Posts
zenblader

Are you going from neutral to first from a dead stop. If so that clunk is normal for a Honda. Both of mine have did it from day one.

You might try shifting into first while you are still moving , that should eliminate the clunk.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Naw, I know that Honda's and BMW's tend to clunk, specially into first from Neutral. No this is different. It may not even be the clutch or tranny. It almost feels that the act of coming to an abrupt stop shifts something that is loose. It thunks once, feeling it thru the pegs, then I take off. Next stop nothing. Whatever it is, its not small. I'm wondering if it's somehow connected to the primary drive or chain.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well I don't have a clue. Better take it to Mike at Powersports in Seaside, he will be able to tell you what's up more than likely.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Possibly something has loosened up on the bike? Maybe check your brake calipers and front and rear axle nuts, as well as the chain and sprockets. Otherwise, it could be something internal... :idunno:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never,

My plan exactly. I wish I could take it in tomorrow but have a full day of work. Maybe I can get in just before closing.

·
Registered
682 Posts
We are more then curious so IF(?) you find out what caused the "clunk" I do hope you will tell us for many of us still own/ride 929s?

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
check all the engine mounts for tightness.
I was had loose mounts on the frame sliders and would get a hard clunk over sharp bumps.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ratter,

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll check the mounts, but am also going to check the rear axle, and front sprocket. Playing the thunk over and over in my memory(didn't sleep well). My hunch is that it is coming from just below or behind the pegs somewhere. I don't feel it in the bars or seat. The whole bike seems solid except for that thunk and abrupt movement coming from below.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Sometimes the rear caliper bracket can make a thunk as it rotates slightly within its alignment slot.
You can feel it in the pegs because the clunk travels up the swingarm....
:idunno:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Does the engine RPM dip when you hear the clunk? Meaning, is the clunk putting a load on the engine at idle or is it having no effect on how the engine is running at all? I have heard some gear box clunks in my bike before but they are mostly when the bike is warming up in neutral. There is a clunk and the RPM's dip for just a split second and then back to idle. Both of my 929's have done the same thing. However it has never done it when once I have shifted it into gear and then back to neutral...only when warming up.

:idunno:

-Shrub

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Wet,

Naw the thunk does nothing to engine rpms. Always happens after coming to my first abrupt stop, either at the end of driveway or down the street at the first stopsign. Clutch is disengaged. Something major is loose and shifting, making a thunk and a quick jerk that can be felt thru the pegs. My hope is that it's simply a matter of a quick wrenching as opposed to a primary gear problem or clutch basket on its way out. I've ridden quite a few bikes, on dirt and street, but I'm the first to admit that I am not mechanically inclined. Mostly 'cause I'm lazy, but my love has always been riding, not wrenching. Although that may be changing. This bike makes me want to do "dirty" things. :(

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
As repayment to .org for the advice you've received, you must now post more pictures of the woman in your avatar.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts