Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing an oil change on the 929 today, I found it hard not to admire the headers on this bike.....a nice piece of manufacturing art.....

I can't believe some of you squids unbolt this thing of beauty and give it the heave ho.....
I think I would at least hang it on the wall to admire....

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
I the looks of the stock 954 exhaust. I don't think I've seen an aftermarket that I think is better looking, but if I currently had the $$ I would go w/something just for the added HP.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I can so picture you out there in your garage, bike centered aloft between your two Pit Bull stands, while you fawn over the headers.

Hehe, j/k.  I think the stock tubing is pretty nicely done as well.

I'm still looking for someone to post what sort of power increases they got on a 954 with the addition of full exhaust (i.e. Arata, Hindle, Akra, etc.) and a PC; unless the power leap from the stock ~130 is pretty significant (say, to the mid 140's or thereabouts), I'm not sure I'd ever go with a full system. The loss of useable torque and power through the low and midrange with the HTEV equipped OEM pipes wouldn't be worth it for a road-going motorcycle IMHO.

·
Registered
208 Posts
hey Chain,

I just went from 130.3 hp to 146.1 with a Micon Serpent and PCIII. Torque went from 68.4 ft-lbs to 73.5 ft-lbs. Everywhere after 4000rpm had an increase

Mickyboy

p.s disregard the dips at 4k and 6k as they were caused by a slight glitch that apparently appeared in the tacho / computer interface

·
Registered
208 Posts
Z's power increase was BY FAR the most that anyone has seen with a full system and PC. When I got an extra 16 the tuners acted like it was amazing.....this place has mapped loads of Blades and it was the biggest increase they had seen.

Mickyboy

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
mickyboy : hey Chain,

I just went from 130.3 hp to 146.1 with a Micon Serpent and PCIII. Torque went from 68.4 ft-lbs to 73.5 ft-lbs. Everywhere after 4000rpm had an increase

Mickyboy

p.s disregard the dips at 4k and 6k as they were caused by a slight glitch that apparently appeared in the tacho / computer interface
The dip at 3-4K is real, can't you feel it?  It is related to the collector design.

I was on the phone with Micron (about something else) and complained to them that I thought their surface finish choice was ugly.  The guys said that Stainless discolors like Ti.    I said sure pal, it just discolors to brown!  I will say, the hydroforming of the Serpent was really impressive to me looking at it from a manufacturing perspective.

Anyway the stock header looks sweet, but it is heavy and somewhat restrictive.  Have you ever seen a full Ti Yosh system after its been run on a racebike?  It looks sooooo coooooollll!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
luvtolean : Anyway the stock header looks sweet, but it is heavy and somewhat restrictive.  Have you ever seen a full Ti Yosh system after its been run on a racebike?  It looks sooooo coooooollll!
Looks more like something that experienced re-entry, than an exhaust if you ask me....

·
Registered
208 Posts
luvtolean : Quote (mickyboy @ May 16 2003, 8:47am)hey Chain,

Mickyboy

The dip at 3-4K is real, can't you feel it?  It is related to the collector design.

I was on the phone with Micron (about something else) and complained to them that I thought their surface finish choice was ugly.  The guys said that Stainless discolors like Ti.    I said sure pal, it just discolors to brown!  I will say, the hydroforming of the Serpent was really impressive to me looking at it from a manufacturing perspective.

Anyway the stock header looks sweet, but it is heavy and somewhat restrictive.  Have you ever seen a full Ti Yosh system after its been run on a racebike?  It looks sooooo coooooollll!
Hey LTL......I wasn'T talking about the dip from 3-4k.....if you look at the blue line there is a small dip at 4k exactly and 6k exactly.....that is what I was referring to. I can honestly say that I don't really notice a dip in power at 3-4k.....but I do notice that the big bulge in power that used to be there is gone.....but now it seems just to build steadily.....no dips, or sudden rises either.

Mickyboy

·
Registered
12 Posts
My arata Ti system looks wayy better than stock if you ask me. The primary tubes, crossover tubes and collectors are a deep purple. As far as the loss in torque, i can't say that i notice it. If you roll on from any RPM, you are out of the area where the Dyno charts show a dip, in fractions of a second. my seat of the pants dyno can't feel any loss. The top end rush is more than worth it, and the sound.... it has a funny crackle to it, a bit like the moto GP three cylinder machines (aprilla, suzuki). At least thats what it sounds like when i am on the bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts