Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 08 cbr 1000, can anyone tell me is it natural for the bike to be making the ticking sound it does while running idle

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think it's natural for the bike to make a slight ticking noise. I've noticed both my GSX-R and CBR do.

If it does sound serious, I'd get it checked out. I know on the 954rr when the cam chain tensioner goes bad it has the tendency to sound like the bike is in horrible need of a valve adjustment. Obviously, the bike needing to be adjusted could be another cause of bad ticking.
Have you changed the oil at all? The wrong oil viscosity or low oil can cause a similar issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah oil looks good. Not sure what was used. What's the best oil to usefor that bike? And the engine doesn't sound horrible. It's just weird to hear it ticking after i come to a complete stop. So you suggest the right oil and seeing if it needs adjusted? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
How many miles does your bike have? That will tell you if the valves are due for servicing, although some ticking is normal.
I've always used synthetic 5w-30 in my 954 and change it every 1k miles, but it's a track bike and that's usually about twice a year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts